Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
johnjohnsw  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2015 8:43:58 AM(UTC)
johnjohnsw

Groups: Registered

Every 5 to 10 minutes there is a loud knocking noise. It seems to be the same number of knocks (12-14) each time. I have never noticed it happening more frequent than 5 minutes. The knock rate is about 3-4 knocks per second.

Ice maker is working fine. Knock is still there if ice maker is turned off.

Freezer cooling well.

Fridge cooling well.

Water dispenser dispenses water, however it does not seem to be cool.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

CletusT  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2015 7:37:26 PM(UTC)
CletusT

The most likely causes of knocking sounds would be- condenser fan hitting something, evaporator fan hitting some ice build up, water inlet valve into ice maker hammering, water inlet valve to water dispenser hammering.
TopoChico  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2016 1:12:58 PM(UTC)
TopoChico

Originally Posted by: johnjohnsw Go to Quoted Post
Every 5 to 10 minutes there is a loud knocking noise. It seems to be the same number of knocks (12-14) each time. I have never noticed it happening more frequent than 5 minutes. The knock rate is about 3-4 knocks per second.

Ice maker is working fine. Knock is still there if ice maker is turned off.

Freezer cooling well.

Fridge cooling well.

Water dispenser dispenses water, however it does not seem to be cool.

I'm having the exact same issue on the exact same model. Were you able to find a fix?
tpanc13r  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 7:20:13 AM(UTC)
tpanc13r

United States

I realize this is an old post, but I am fighting something probably similar today. I have documented in detail my situation with knocking like you indicate and have included sound bite, I am just curious if these sounds matched your sounds? Please see Sound Bites

May I add the GE after 3 months of messing with service people cannot conclusively point to the source of the sound, bu my blog just about defines it as the damper, based on what I actually saw compared to other Internet articles and videos. Bottom line, it appears the damper door is driver by a gear mechanism which is not synchronized with the distance the door needs to move to open of close it. Thus it over runs and keeps trying after it has already met the door stop for about 1-2 seconds (usually) resulting in the plastic door flapping against the plastic stop causing a chatter or knock as you described. This happens every time the food storage requires cooling from the freezer (damper function). GE has now decided to replace my refrigerator, but I suspect with the same faulty damper mechanism in it, the replacement refrigerator will also knock. We have already replaced the original damper with w new one and it started out significantly quieter than the original, but still the sound could be heard and the frequency continued. You'll see in my blog post that a new, but incorrect, tower assembly came and the damper extracted from it. That tower assembly ENCLOSED the damper in Styrofoam which muted any sound from resonating into the plastic tower assembly -- the tower assembly amplifies the sound heard in mine without any Styrofoam insulation.

I'd like to know if anybody is experiencing the same sound and whether it ever got corrected. Thank you.
------------------ Update Below 1/11/20
GE replaced my refrigerator and as expected the noise persists but quieter than the original refrigerator with either it's original damper or its replacement in that fridge. Thus, the noise is somewhat related to the damper door, but it is inconclusive whether the damper operation itself is making the noise or the air flow exchange between the freezer and food storage vibrating the door. GE will not let me talk to an engineer to troubleshoot any more and essentially has told me to live with it. This update is to notify others that the replacement of just the damper on this SPECIFIC model GDE25ESKJRSS will not resolve the knocking described and can be heard in sound bites in my blog above. Other models may have different air tower assemblies with the same damper, but the damper is enclosed in sound suppressing Styrofoam and the noise will probably not even be heard.

Edited by user Saturday, January 11, 2020 7:44:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply