Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Seeker7777  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2015 4:32:08 PM(UTC)
Seeker7777

Groups: Registered

So today we started hearing a noise coming the washer (more noticeable in the back) when it's in the washing cycle and also when it's in the (not sure of the technical term, but...) "drying" cycle (meaning, when it spins fast to remove the water), once the machine stops, the inner drum where the clothes are placed into (unlike before) just continues to spin and spin and spin. It use to stop, but now it just spins until it naturally comes to a halt.

So my questions are:

1) What do you guys think the problem is?

2) Can an amateur (me, in other words) fix this problem? Or should I get a technician in here?

3) What is the cost usually associated with such a problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2015 3:26:52 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

We cannot give you any information without a model number so that we know what type of machine we are dealing with.

But if this is a top loader then you should remove the front panel and see if you can locate the source of the noise, that is, what part of the machine it is coming from.

If you want more info please post a model number and we may be able to help, but noises are extremely difficult to diagnose from afar.
Seeker77777  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2015 10:26:15 AM(UTC)
Seeker77777

Here's the model number: HAV3460AWW and as you now may know, it's a top loader.

I did actually open up the top, took a look around and nothing (to my untrained eye) really seemed out of place. I pretty much did a tire-kicking test and everything seemed to be tightly bolted in. I assume that there's either something not quite visible that maybe has loosened up over time and simply needs tightening or that there is a hole in one of the tubes, because we used the washer today and water was leaking from the bottom. What do you think it could be?

And one last thing, just to confirm: it's okay to leave the panel (which is on top) open while I run the machine? And would you still suggest I do that now that water is leaking (though not a lot) from the bottom?
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2015 11:49:13 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Okay, this is a Maytag, not a GE, or at least that what your model number is.

I assume by top you mean the front panel, and yes, it is okay to operate the machine with the front panel off. Hopefully you can determine the source of the noise and leak.
Seeker77777  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2015 12:42:48 PM(UTC)
Seeker77777

Yea', I meant the front panel, not the lid. The entire square piece on top of the machine that lifts up so that you can see inside of the unit.

And my mistake. You're right. It's a Maytag. I guess I'll fill it up with water, run it and see what I can come up with. Will update the thread shortly.

Thanks.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply