Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bmilcs  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2015 1:23:57 PM(UTC)
bmilcs

Groups: Registered

Hello folks,

My parents in law purchased a used GE Electric Dryer on craigslist for my wife and I for our first place. After a few months, it became very squeaky so I decided I would try and fix it.

Anyways, the dryer is literally wedged into the corner of a small room and I was unable to remove it on my own so I decided to try and dissemble it as is. I was able to get the drum out but I did bend the metal frame, the portion that forms a lip over the front of it. I took the pictures below to show it.

Removing the belt was a pain. I noticed that a small white plastic piece with red goo fell off of the pulley that you loop the belt on.

Is this a major issue? Should I be able to rectify the issue despite having bent the frame a bit and loosened this white circular piece? I haven't purchased a repair kit yet but I was looking at the following:

http://www.amazon.com/WE3M26-WE...mp;keywords=DPSR475EW0WW

It has all the parts I believe that I need.

Is it doable? Should I be good to go or is it time for a new dryer?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2015 2:36:30 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for GE DPSR475EW0WW Dryer - AppliancePartsPros.com

I am not sure about the part you reference unless you see that it was the cause of your noise re: worn slide bearings etc.

I also cannot tell if the bent frame will cause a problem. I would try to straighten it.

The following video may be helpful.
Part number: AP5955118
Part number: AP5955118

For the idler wheel I would replace it item 216 in section 01.
You will also need a cap nut item 234 in section 01.
A drop of oil on the shaft would not hurt but do not go crazy with it as oul and grease will collect lint.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
bmilcs  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2015 11:09:06 AM(UTC)
bmilcs

Thank you for your response!

Was that little circular pulley piece connected to the larger one that holds the belt? Or did that fall off from somewhere else?

The replacement pulley doesn't have this feature. Is it just new design?
bmilcs  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2015 11:09:55 AM(UTC)
bmilcs

What type of grease should I get? I am not a handy person but learning to be.
denman  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2015 12:19:31 PM(UTC)
denman

I do not know where it came from.
Could have been from the idler wheel. Check if it fits on the outside of the wheel.
The grease is there is not normal.
Check to see if there is red grease elsewhere in the unit.

You do not need grease a couple drops of sewing machine or 3in1 oil will do.
bmilcs  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2015 12:59:59 PM(UTC)
bmilcs

I was able to get the new pulley on, replaced all the pieces of the door and I went to place the drum back in place.

It seriously won't go back in. It's in such a tight corner that the walls of the dryer have no place to go and I did my best to push it back. I mangled the side of the dryer and I still can't get the drum back in place.

I am so frustrated beyond belief and believe I just destroyed my dryer. I spent at least 45 minutes trying to get the damn nut off of the pulley and that simply wouldn't come off.

I could seriously take a sledge hammer to it. I don't know what to do because I literally cannot get it out of the corner of this room. It's blocked off in all angles and I've had to do yoga positions just to access it.

Am I just out of luck?
denman  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2015 2:04:42 AM(UTC)
denman

Perhaps the following video will be helpful to you.
Part number: AP2619954
Part number: AP2619954

Yes getting the keeper washer off the idler wheel is a pain.
Often the wheel is destroyed doing it but by the sound of it you have that problem beat.

I do not know if the following will help but often I find if things get frustrating it is best to walk away for half an hour or so.
As my blood pressure rise the difficulty of the job also seems to rise.
bmilcs  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2015 1:40:01 PM(UTC)
bmilcs

Miraculously with a second breath, I was able to rectify the problem and got the dryer running. It's running but the squeAK has returned. I notice that the drum has some play back and forth, so I pushed it far back as I could which reduces the squeak temporarily. Any ideas?

Does the back axle need grease maybe
denman  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2015 2:31:52 AM(UTC)
denman

The rear bearing should not require lubrication.
But a light coating of grease would not hurt although I cannot say if this will eliminate the squeak or how long it will last.
If you do this be sure to use a high temperature grease.

Another possible cause are the front glides.

Below is info on the rear bearing.
Note that if you click on the picture and take a look at the Q&A's, there are over 60 of them so there is probably info there that will be useful to you.

Part number: AP2619300
bmilcs  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2015 4:36:02 AM(UTC)
bmilcs

Originally Posted by: bmilcs Go to Quoted Post
Hello folks,

My parents in law purchased a used GE Electric Dryer on craigslist for my wife and I for our first place. After a few months, it became very squeaky so I decided I would try and fix it.

Anyways, the dryer is literally wedged into the corner of a small room and I was unable to remove it on my own so I decided to try and dissemble it as is. I was able to get the drum out but I did bend the metal frame, the portion that forms a lip over the front of it. I took the pictures below to show it.

Removing the belt was a pain. I noticed that a small white plastic piece with red goo fell off of the pulley that you loop the belt on.

Is this a major issue? Should I be able to rectify the issue despite having bent the frame a bit and loosened this white circular piece? I haven't purchased a repair kit yet but I was looking at the following:

http://www.amazon.com/WE3M26-WE...mp;keywords=DPSR475EW0WW

It has all the parts I believe that I need.

Is it doable? Should I be good to go or is it time for a new dryer?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I think I've figured it out. When I removed the drum from the dryer, this little plastic piece came flying out.

Drum Bearing Sleeve

I think this was a cheap original / replacement drum bearing for the rear drum bearing assembly.

I imagine this is the cause for the squeak in the first place and the reason why the drum has so much play now. I didn't put it back on when I put the dryer back together.

So, do you think that because I bought it used, that they tried replacing the Drum Bearing Sleeve with a cheap plastic replacement part instead of
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply