Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
steve1147  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2015 8:53:33 AM(UTC)
steve1147

Groups: Registered

Thanks in advance for your help! This model has separate evaporators in the freezer and fridge sections. Freezer does flawlessly, but every 2-3 weeks the fridge side evaporator freezes up solid, and temperature rises towards 50 f.
There appears to be no defrost mechanism whatever in the fridge side, just a small sensor clipped to the evap coils.
I'm befuddled how this is even supposed to operate without freezing up.
Any advice or help is greatly appreciated, This fridge is only about 2 years old, has no warranty, and cost a fortune. Thanks, Steve W.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

CletusT  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2015 6:30:52 PM(UTC)
CletusT

Make sure the evaporator fan is running, located inside the duct from the fridge side.
steve1147  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2015 4:16:04 AM(UTC)
steve1147

Yup, the fan runs. Off and on.
steve1147  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:30:22 AM(UTC)
steve1147

Tried it again, froze up in less than two weeks this time
CletusT  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2015 10:20:57 AM(UTC)
CletusT

I would guess the thermistor could be bad, but I'm not 100% sure. The sensor you mention could be bad as well.
The last thing I would check may be the control board, not allowing the evap to defrost. Maybe one of the pros can answer better than I.
steve1147  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2015 4:08:37 AM(UTC)
steve1147

That's the odd thing, there's no defrost heater, etc. for this evap coil, just a thermistor clipped to it.
steve1147  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2015 4:09:10 AM(UTC)
steve1147

Guess I'll order the thermistor and try that....
blahblah24  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 4:59:30 PM(UTC)
blahblah24

There is a sensor in the refrigerator compartment that it took 4 different techs to find and about 20 calls to Kitchen Aid. The sensor in under a white cover about 2/3 of the way up from the bottom of the fridge on the right side of the fridge compartment. The white cover almost looks like a shelf holder. Get someone to replace that sensor and PROBLEM SOLVED. You have no idea how tired I was of this damned refrigerator, but my guy from Floyd, VA solved the problem!!!
omare34  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 4, 2020 1:16:48 PM(UTC)
omare34

Originally Posted by: blahblah24 Go to Quoted Post
There is a sensor in the refrigerator compartment that it took 4 different techs to find and about 20 calls to Kitchen Aid. The sensor in under a white cover about 2/3 of the way up from the bottom of the fridge on the right side of the fridge compartment. The white cover almost looks like a shelf holder. Get someone to replace that sensor and PROBLEM SOLVED. You have no idea how tired I was of this damned refrigerator, but my guy from Floyd, VA solved the problem!!!

Hi all - hate to resurrect a suuuuper old thread but I think starting a bunch of threads on the same topic is frowned upon??

Anyways I came across this thread recently and I'm having the exact same issue. As described by the OP. I already replaced the thermistor with no luck. I'm thinking my culprit may be the same sensor blahblah24 described above but i'm not sure where to find it?

Any help is appreciated!! The model I have is a Kitchen Aid KRMF606ESS00.

Thanks.
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 9, 2022 1:15:27 PM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If you find out I need to know to......been having this problem a long time and every time the tech comes he just says it is an issue with whirlpool fridge.....he defrosts it and leaves.....I eventually started just defrosting it myself. But it is happening so often now I can't keep putting up with this.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply