Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RichardBrum  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 5:42:40 AM(UTC)
RichardBrum

Groups: Registered

We just moved into our new house. The kitchen has a 15 year old or so Amana bottom freezer refrigerator. We noticed right away that the fridge was running a bit warm. Even on the coldest setting, the fridge struggles to stay at 40 degrees, often going as high as 44 degrees. Multiple thermometers have confirmed this.

Repair guy showed up today, came highly recommended. Inspected the whole thing and could not find anything wrong mechanically with the fridge. The freezer is at a normal temperature. The only thing he noticed was that a portion of the freezer gasket had separated and warped. He said that might be causing the fridge to run a bit warm, but he offered no guarantees. Quote he gave me for parts and labor was $255 plus shipping for the parts. He warned me in advance that Amana gaskets are expensive.

Does any of this make sense? I'm obviously hesitant to spend so much on a repair on a 15 year old fridge.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

CletusT  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 3:10:00 PM(UTC)
CletusT

That refrigerator is probably made far better than most new ones. I get calls daily for fridges that average 5-6 years old, and some only 4 years old.
Is the evaporator fan working?
Has it been moved away from the wall to clean the coils?
RichardBrum  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2015 9:58:02 AM(UTC)
RichardBrum

Originally Posted by: CletusT Go to Quoted Post
That refrigerator is probably made far better than most new ones. I get calls daily for fridges that average 5-6 years old, and some only 4 years old.
Is the evaporator fan working?
Has it been moved away from the wall to clean the coils?

Fan is working fine. Coils were not dirty. Repair guy said he checked everything, and it all looked good except for gasket issue.
CletusT  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2015 6:55:38 PM(UTC)
CletusT

My guess is he is correct on the gasket, or the system is low on coolant.
johnsa11  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2015 12:31:04 PM(UTC)
johnsa11

If the gasket is a problem (which you can determine with the "dollar bill" trick -- close the drawer on the dollar bill and pull on the dollar, which should not easily slide out. Test on the fridge gasket door to confirm), you should be able to order a replacement online. All you'll need is the fridge model, then do a parts search for the freezer gasket. It comes with instructions to do the job yourself, soaking the gasket in hot water, then replacing the old one. I did this 3 years ago, but found it wasn't the gasket, which the repair person said it was. I paid $50 for the gasket, so at least I wasn't soaked for as high a bill.

Another thought -- get a second opinion. I'm not an appliance tech, but it sounds like if the freezer is working right and the temperature is good, then there is some sort of blockage moving cold air from freezer to fridge.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply