Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thorning  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2015 1:37:27 PM(UTC)
thorning

Groups: Registered

I am looking at buying the above model dryer with s/n 195168600L that has a bad timer. ON looking for the replacement part it appears this timer is very expensive. I have quite a few older usable timers from typical Maytag dryers such as model DE410 or DE412 and wondered if anyone has ever tried to make one of these work in place of the more expensive type. I am sure the wiring for the plug is different on the Atlantis but timers are essentially the same type of device. Any comments are welcomed.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2015 8:56:47 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts, includes a wiring diagram.
http://www.appliancepartspros.c...ch.aspx?model=MDE6400AYW

Timers are machine specific so this would be a lot of effort

You also a wiring diagram for the older timer/unit.

Then you have to sit down and figure out if the two are even a close match.

You would also need the old plug with some wire attached so you can splice the wires in.

Could be a lot of work for nothing.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
thorning  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2015 9:09:39 AM(UTC)
thorning

It is sounding like a lot more work than it is worth. Guess I will have to bite the bullet after I pick it up and get a new or maybe a working used timer of that type specified for the Atlantis. Kind of a interesting problem since I have several good working timers from older Maytags.
thorning  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 7, 2018 9:59:29 AM(UTC)
thorning

I recently was given another Maytag Atlantis electric dryer with model number MDE6400AYQ and s/n 19461681CR. It is in excellent condition in terms of appearance and very clean but It will not start or heat. I have checked every item that would normally be a possible source of the problem such as the thermal fuse (2), thermostats, door switch, heating element, and all the wiring connections. These items were all checked 3 times and no problem was found. The only item left was the timer which in my opinion is not as good as the old design timers plus a replacement of the original is very expensive. I have several older design timers which are typically Model 460-G and are in good working condition. The problem is that the original timer uses a 9 pin connector plug and the old design timers use individual connectors . Also the original timer is very loud when it runs as compared to the older design designs.. I am now trying to figure out how to make the connections to make the old design work on this Atlantis dryer. Any help would be appreciated.
denman  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:36:56 AM(UTC)
denman

Sorry for taking so long in getting back to you but I am no longer active on this forum.

Your best bet would be to try and find a used timer.

Trying to modify the unit to use a different timer will require you to have the wiring info on both units and may be a big pain it the you know what.

Alos even if you get the other timer to work it is doubtful that the times/functions would be a match.
thorning  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:45:01 AM(UTC)
thorning

Thanks.
I have actually taken this "sealed" timer assembly apart and found the problem. It was easy to fix. My situation now is that when I was able to get it apart a couple of plastic levers fell out and I cant figure out how to get it back together properly. If you have any recommendations for a timer repair shop it would be greatly appreciated.
denman  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:10:43 AM(UTC)
denman

Sorry but I have never used a mechanical timer repair shop.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply