Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
openagos  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2015 9:19:38 PM(UTC)
openagos

Groups: Registered

Hello, I have a Kenmore 10659502990 side by side refrigerator that has me a little puzzled after troubleshooting it. The freezer works fine but the refrigerator side is cold but not as cold, it is about 45 degrees after I turn the knob to 9 (max coldest setting) on the refrigerator thermostat. I checked the door damper and it opens and closes fine, I checked the defroster thermostat and that has continuity when it is cold, the evaporator fan works fine, and the heater coils also checked with continuity. The evaporator has no frost build up on it, and it is not stuck in defrost. Also, all the air flow vents are free from obstruction. After troubleshooting, seems that the damper is closing prematurely around 45 degrees and opens at 50 degrees. Not sure what controls the damper, if I need to replace the refrigerator thermostat that it is faulty or if this fridge has a thermistor, or if its a control board that makes the damper open and close? Everything is working properly but the refrigerator just can not hold temperature between 32-40 degrees. Please advise, what part I need to buy and replace. Thank you
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2015 4:37:30 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Kenmore Refrigerator 10659502990 - AppliancePartsPros.com

If you go to the Sears parts site they have actual part breakdown diagrams. Unfortunately they do not share these with other vendors.

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

Sounds like you have done a lot of troubleshooting soI would replace the fresh food (refrigerator) thermostat.

I would double check that the freezer temperature is between o and 5 degrees F and run the baffle diagnostics.

Part number: AP3092674
Part number: AP3092674
File Attachment(s):
59502990.pdf (375kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
alhero  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2015 9:52:50 AM(UTC)
alhero

I have the same problem with my kitchenaid (KSSC48QMS02). The freezer is working but the refrigerator is not cooling. I have turned off the entire system to allow the freezer to defrost. I turned the system on after 24 hours hopping that the freezer defrosted. The freezer is cooling but the refrigerator is not.

Please let me know what other troubleshooting I should do before I purchase parts.
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2015 1:55:44 PM(UTC)
denman

alhero

Sorry I just noticed that you already have your own post.
I will try to get you some info as soon as I get a chance

Could you please start your own post/thread using Post New Topic.

Your unit is totally different from the one in this post.
A lot more complicated as I think it is all solid state.

Adding to this post will just confuse things

Thanks in advance
denman
openagos  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2015 10:25:14 PM(UTC)
openagos

I apologize for the late response. Thank you for the Service and wiring sheet,, but I finally had some time to check the Freezer temperature, and it is indeed between 0 and 5 degrees, its is about 1 and 2 degrees F, seems a little high since service sheet says it needs to be 0 and -5 degree F. Not sure what this might mean? Or how accurate thermometer is. Does the refrigerator might need refrigerant?
I will do the baffle diagnostics next and see if it passes.
denman  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2015 2:43:03 AM(UTC)
denman

The freezer temperature you measured is OK.
I doubt it is a freon issue as the temperature looks OK.
Another symptom of low freon would be that the compressor runs all the time except when the unit goes through a defrost cycle (re: the thermostat knows it is too warm in the freezer so runs the compressor all the time trying to reach the set point temperature).
If it is cycling as it should then the sealed system is probably OK.

Given your original post that the damper does open and close I would look at the refrigerator thermostat, perhaps that is not controlling the temperature correctly.
May also be a problem with the damper switches.

I am off to the cabin later today and will not be able to reply till Monday or Tuesday.
If you want some help during this time you may want to start a new post as often when the forum is busy other regulars do not have the time to look at posts that already have a reply.
You could copy this post link and then include it in the new post.
openagos  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2015 8:46:46 PM(UTC)
openagos

Hello, I ran the baffle diagnostics and the refrigerator passed the test, baffle opened and closed as they should per the instructions. I went ahead and ordered the Fresh Food thermostat and installed it. Unfortunately, I still have the original problem. Fresh food side of refrigerator is still above 42 degrees when I set the thermostat close to Max setting(8 out of 9), and can not get the temperature between 32-40 degrees F. If I set the thermostat to default (5) the temperature is about 46-48 degrees F. Seems that there is something fundamentally wrong with my fridge since the Freezer temperature wont go below 0 degrees and fresh food section wont go below 42 degrees F. Not sure what to do next? Please advice. Thank you.
denman  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2015 4:29:48 AM(UTC)
denman

I am not sure what is going on here.

When you set the freezer lowest setting and it will only go down to 0, does the compressor run all the time except when it goes through a defrost cycle?
It should.

If the damper between the sections is fully open and the evaporator/freezer fan is running correctly then the fresh food side should get lower than what you list.
openagos  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2015 12:20:08 PM(UTC)
openagos

I will try that next, I will set freezer side to max setting and see if it goes below zero. Right now the setting is at 6, one number above default setting of 5, the temperature hovers around 2-5 degrees F. The strange part is the freezer side, the evaporator fan is blowing but the baffle is closed as though it has reached the desired temperature. When the baffle is open, I feel the air coming out of the baffle but it doesn't feel very cold.
denman  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 15, 2015 2:16:06 AM(UTC)
denman

Sounds like a baffle problem for some reason it is closing when it should stay open.