Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chipdoo  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2015 10:00:34 AM(UTC)
chipdoo

Groups: Registered

Hi all,
I cannont figure this issue out and its driving me nuts. I have a 2003 model side by side Frigidaire refrigerator which stopped making ice about 2 weeks ago. Model # is PLHS239ZCB0.
There is no ice in the ice tray and no water going to it. There is water coming out of the water dispenser just fine.
Since the issue, I have:
1. replaced the water inlet valves
2. replaced the water filter
3. replaced the entire ice maker
4. tested the door switch and it appears to work just fine
5. left the entire unit unplugged for 10 minutes (not sure if its long enough?)
Nothing, nadda, zilch ice produced. I don't know what else to try. I do hear the inlet valve kick on every so often but no water comes into the ice maker.
Could it be a defective new inlet water valve perhaps? I'm at a loss lol Any help or suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks,
Chip
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

chipdoo  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2015 2:46:20 PM(UTC)
chipdoo

Ok, so I have done the following:
I swapped the wiring harness with the water dispenser and ice maker inlet valve. I press on the water dispenser and the water comes out of the tube for the ice maker, so I know the valve is good. I normalized everything.

I then filled the ice maker manually with water and hours later, the ice was in the tray.
So the ice maker and the valve are working but what I'm trying to figure out now is what tells the valve to shoot out more water to fill the ice maker?

Any ideas?
Simon / APP Team  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2015 4:14:33 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi, Chipdoo.

Have you checked the temperature inside the freezer? It should be 0 - 5*F for the ice maker to function. If an ice cream in the freezer is hard like a rock, then you are good.
Also check the plug inside the freezer and the wire harness to the inlet valve. There is a diode link wired into the harness close to the water valve and even your problem does not really fit to the common diode failures it could be your culprit.

Here is the diode kit Part number: AP3220736
Part number: AP3220736

Good luck.Please keep us posted of the results.

Thank you.

Simon.
chipdoo  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2015 5:28:22 PM(UTC)
chipdoo

Thanks for the reply Simon.
If this Diode were bad, would it still work how I tried it? I switched the wiring harness at the valves between the water dispenser and the ice maker. When I pressed on the water dispenser in the front of the fridge, water came shooting out of the water tube that feeds the ice maker. So the valve is good.

I didn't try it with the ice maker tube attached. I should have connected it back to see if the ice maker filled up.
Tonight I will try that to make sure that there is nothing blocking the portion where the tube connects on the back of the fridge to the ice tray.

I cannot believe how baffled I am by this. I'm very handy and feel like I'm overlooking something so simple that its driving me nuts..... lol

The other thought that came to mind today is that perhaps I have to adjust the water level screw since its a brand new ice maker....
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply