Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jow2  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2015 11:12:15 AM(UTC)
jow2

Groups: Registered

• Should my R22 low side line sweat or feel cool while my Home's AC is running (set on 80 inside)? Am I in the correct Forun, Carrier is not showing as a brand??
  • This is the start of our heat and AC need in instantly Hot North, TX.
  • I change my “90 Day Grade Filters” from Home Depot every 3 months (1st).
  • With the hot 90s + recent weather my AC is cycling more than usually (approx ea 20 minutes).
  • 2002, 3 ton Carrier install outside, 4 ton inside 1,800 sq ft home.
  • Cleaning the Ext coil and feeling the sweating chilled low side yearly has been the only service since 2002.
  • Not seeing/feeing the cool sweating line, I installed my Manifold gauges which showed Low Side = 72 psi and High Side =235.
  • Should I add R22 until I start to get a light sweat or what would you suggest?
  • An A/C Tech (Friend) gave me a High Side Line with the connection to reduce refrigerant loss.
  • Our 1969 2.5 ton “Leaking Lennox” lasted 33 years. Gave me lots of experience and was still working in 2002 but had Worked Me Down!
Thanks For Your Advice!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jow2  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2015 10:49:28 AM(UTC)
jow2

I have decided it’s time to leave my AC work to my Trusted Tech that installed the unit in 2002. I usually do some preliminary test to share with him before asking him to come out during his Busy Busy Season. I serviced Our Lennox 33 years But The Law Changed with the 2002 Carrier installed!! Except, I clean the outside coils ea summer and feel and look for a cool sweating Low Side Line during the full run cycle (both use R22). That is what I’m not getting and feel it’s could be causing the quicker on/off cycles compared to the past. I’ll give him a follow-up call that he requested after 2-3 day since what I feel is an issue still exist. Plus, my body is telling me I need to make more calls NOW. LOL!

My exams, Pics and reports to share with him:
1. Low/high side Manifold gauge readings (L =72, H= 235) with temps 90+ outside, set on 80 inside.
2. Low side line only sweating and cool at startup vs the entire run time.
3. Inside coils looks fair with light fuzz look with no real blockage vs dirty look since 2002 install.
4. Coil on one side does not appear to be as cool and sweating to the top as others.
5. Good air movement but lots of cycling with inside Stat set on 80 with outside 90+ degrees.
neonhomer  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 7, 2015 6:38:01 AM(UTC)
neonhomer

Charging the system is not based on the feel of the suction line. It should be charged by "superheat".

It wouldn't hurt to have your service tech clean the evaporator coil. Also, IMHO, I would change your filter a bit more often. I was never a fan of the 90 day filters.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply