Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rlhfixit  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2015 12:37:35 PM(UTC)
rlhfixit

Groups: Registered

Hello... Have a 30 year old Kenmore washer. Works beautifully like new. It has been a pleasure to use ... AND repair. No problems thus far. Now I have a problem that's got me stumped.

Squealing noise at beginning of FIRST agitation... lasts for 5 seconds and then doesn't do it at any other time during entire wash.

I replaced the basket drive tube and brake assembly (AP3094539) and the drive block (AP2905773), also Clutch Band and lining (AP3094538) just for good measure.

The problem still persists... with an additional issue...

A. Persisting problem - Could it be the gearcase(trans)? Can it be lubricated or just replace the whole unit? I DID notice a little bit of brown powdery residue (oily, turns out, when I wiped it up) on floor below it when I was replacing other things.

B. The additional issue - I've tried one wash cycle. It squealed/grinded? sometimes during fast spin and when braking. Is this normal with a new brake assembly? The instructions for choosing a "basket drive spring" and "clutch spring" described my particular machine as 27" width and basket inside diameter of 20.5"... which indeed it is... so I followed advice of using appropriate drive and clutch springs. I DID notice the new clutch band has fewer "pads" made out of some sort of plastic, rather than the old band, which has more "pads" made of metal? Does that have something to do with squeal during spin and brake? Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.