Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PHL  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 10:46:48 PM(UTC)
PHL

Groups: Registered

2 days ago, I replaced the drum rollers and the idler pulley wheel on my dryer because it was making a lot of noise. Dryer worked fine for at least 2 or 3 cycles. Tonight, my wife noticed a strong smell of burning rubber.

Disassembled the dryer and found that the belt had broken. Also, the Belt Restrainer had been deformed/melted, presumably due to friction from the belt. I've found the replacement, part number AP3130521 or Maytag P/N 3393657.

My problem is I am having trouble removing the belt pulley, p/n AP4371117 (maytag p/n W10136930). I can get a socket on the pulley, and I've clamped a vise-grip on the motor shaft, but it isn't coming off. I'm not certain how the shaft is threaded, so I don't want to force it and risk destroying the pulley.

Is this a normal thread or a reverse threaded shaft? Also, do I really need the belt restrainer? The pulley has flanges which should keep the belt from slipping off as long as the belt is properly tensioned.

I don't know why the belt failed, but it's *possible* I reinstalled the belt incorrectly , as I was in a bad mood and in a hurry at the time. I noticed what looked like groove marks on the plastic idler pulley, so the belt might have been inside-out, so to speak. The belt looks like if failed from the smooth side rather than the grooved side.

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.
PHL attached the following image(s):
20150527_205224[1].jpg
20150527_205241[1].jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 4:16:07 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
It's standard right hand thread and the restrainer will keep the belt from popping off during starting/stopping.

Eric
PHL  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 5:50:24 AM(UTC)
PHL

Thanks Eric.

Are left-hand threads unique to just certain manufacturers? I am confused because I saw this post regarding a different Maytag model:

http://forum.appliancepartspros...ey-motor.html#post871874

Any idea why it is on so tight? Loc-Tite? Is that normal? Should I shoot some bolt loosener like Kroil into the thread? I could try clamping the shaft even harder with a vise-grip, but it really shouldn't be necessary.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 7:21:34 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Yes, you are correct, I was thinking Whirlpool, sorry to mislead you! I believe yours does have a left handed thread. The way to tell for sure is to run the motor. While looking at the end that the pulley is on, if it's rotating clockwise, then it has a left handed threaded pulley, if CCW, then right handed thread. You will have to lift the idler arm to activate the belt switch without the belt on.

Eric
PHL  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 11:15:04 AM(UTC)
PHL

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
Yes, you are correct, I was thinking Whirlpool, sorry to mislead you! I believe yours does have a left handed thread. The way to tell for sure is to run the motor. While looking at the end that the pulley is on, if it's rotating clockwise, then it has a left handed threaded pulley, if CCW, then right handed thread. You will have to lift the idler arm to activate the belt switch without the belt on.

Eric

Thanks. I may try that tonight if I cannot get my hands on a replacement pulley to inspect. Judging by the way the blower needs to spin, I believe the motor is spinning CCW if I look at the motor shaft from the front of the dryer. If I look at it from the rear, then the shaft would be spinning CS, which would mean a left-handed thread, right?

I'm heading to a shop right now. Hopefully they have one in stock.

Thanks again for your help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply