Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
caelis  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 7:29:02 PM(UTC)
caelis

Groups: Registered

I awoke to my Amana fridge leaking water everywhere. I pulled it out and the water tube had blown off the elbow where it enters the back of the fridge. I replaced the tube and looked in the freezer. The ice tray fill tube was solid ice. I took a hair dryer and thawed the elbow and the ice tube. I turned the water on and several hours later noticed water coming out of the front of the freezer. The inside was flooded and water was running out the ice tray. I dumped the ice bin. removed the ice maker and let the unit thaw. I put everything back together and turned the water on. I waited an hour or so and no leak. I had to leave so I lifted the ice maker arm to stop the cycle. I wanted to observe the fill. An hour later the water started leaking everywhere. The tube at the back top on the elbow entering the box was still on but partially blown off again. I mopped up about a gallon of water. Do I have a bad water inlet valve? What tells the valve to open? Is it normal to push the tubing off the elbow into the box?

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jeff / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2015 4:37:49 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

The cycle of the icemaker turns on the water valve. The first thing to check is to see if the icemaker is broke and is supplying power to the water valve on the unit causing the overflow issue. If so, replace the icemaker. If there is no power coming to the valve, but it continues to flow water, you will need to replace the water valve on the unit. You can test this with a multi-meter AP3873826. Here is a link on how to use a multi-meter. http://forum.appliancepartspros...continuity-ohmmeter.html
caelis  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 9:13:41 AM(UTC)
caelis

Jeff, I didn't have time to mess with the refrigerator. We don't use the ice very much but use the water dispenser all the time. I disconnected the power to to the water valve on the ice maker but left the power hooked up on the water dispenser at the valve. I turned the water on an it began to spew from the water tube at the elbow into the box. Shouldn't that valve be closed with the wire harness disconnected?
Jeff / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 4:39:27 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

The water valve is bad and stuck open. You will need to replace the valve on the unit.
caelis  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 6:05:04 AM(UTC)
caelis

Thanks Jeff
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply