Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
xrc0000  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:12:01 PM(UTC)
xrc0000

Groups: Registered

I have just replaced the center post, basket drive, and clutch. The washer won't go into a high speed spin. I suspect that I might have turned over the clutch thrust washer. Would this cause this symptom? The transmission is only a few years old. The motor drive coupling is okay, agitation seems okay, etc. Just the spin cycle isn't working right. Does the water level sensor tell when to go to high speed as well as controlling the fill?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:58:28 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
You say it won't go into high speed spin. Does it spin at all? The water level switch is for fill and for power to the motor in agitation cycle only. It has nothing to do with spin cycle. The clutch thrust washer needs to be installed correctly. I don't really know how it would affect things as I've never seen nor heard of one being installed upside down.

Eric
xrc0000  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2015 3:12:09 PM(UTC)
xrc0000

yes, it spins (although that's based on the sound, since the lid switch kills it and the brake is pretty powerful) but it never seems to go very fast. And if I remember correctly, when it was working correctly, it would spin a low speed for a while (30 seconds?) then switch over to high speed (probably to wait until most of the water is drained so it won't spill over the top). I presume that the motor runs in one direction to run the agitator and the reverse direction at one of two speeds to spin. What switches it to the high speed? And I don't hear any transition now. It just seems to run in low speed for the remainder of the cycle.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2015 3:58:32 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

This washer has a neutral drain transmission. It should drain for a full 2 minutes before going into spin. If it doesn't, there is a problem. This is a 3 speed model. It does not switch speeds on it's own. The speeds are whatever you have the cycle switch set to. If set to hang dry, it's fast agitate, slow spin. For heavy duty, it's fast agitate, fast spin. For regular, it's slow agitate, fast spin. For delicate, it's extra slow agitate, slow spin. For hand wash, it is an intermittent extra slow agitate, slow spin. Fast spin on these washers isn't really all that fast. Should be around 650rpm. We test them by defeating the lid switch and using an electronic tach to check the speed.

Eric
xrc0000  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 11:49:00 AM(UTC)
xrc0000

I don't think the previous reply applies to this washer. This one runs the motor in reverse, slow while doing the initial drain, then goes to high speed. I can hear the transition while the motor briefly stops. And now that it's working again, I can see that by defeating the lid switch.
But as it turns out, my problem was it didn't spin at all, now that I've actually had time to spend with it. I took it apart, took out the now deformed thrust washer and (after reshaping it) turned it over. Reassembled it and it still didn't spin. So, on a whim, I reached in and moved the basket... it continued to turn and gradually built up to full speed. So I now suspect that I had glazed the clutch ring friction pads and it couldn't develop enough friction to release the basket brake and turn the basket. Probably caused by having the clutch and basket assembly locked together incorrectly while the thrust washer was upside down. Didn't even need to take it apart yet again.
Thanks to the person who replied with some helpful information. We now know that installing the thrust washer upside down leads to a no spin symptom. I might note that installing the wrong clutch spring from the set supplied could possibly cause this kind of symptom as well.
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 2:13:01 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Originally Posted by: xrc0000 Go to Quoted Post
I don't think the previous reply applies to this washer.

Yes, it does apply to this washer. Drain is always in high speed regardless of what you have the speed switch set to. After the 2 minute drain, speed is determined by what you have the speed switch set to. At no time in any cycle does the washer motor automatically change speeds except when the motor first starts which takes less than a second.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply