Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bakchr  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 11:10:30 AM(UTC)
bakchr

Groups: Registered

The dryer was working fine but making alot of noise. I found the blower wheel damaged and replaced it. It was stuck and would not come out and I ended up needing to chisel it to break it up into small pieces to remove it. I laid the disassembled dryer on its back with the blower wheel facing up so I could easily hammer and chisel at it to break it up. The motor probably got shook up some while I was pounding on blower wheel to remove it. I eventually got the new blower wheel on and everything reassembled. All of the noise that it was making is gone now and it sounds great, but it will not stay running unless you hold in the Start button. As soon as you release the button it stops. I have since disassembled and reassembled everything 3 times, checking all wiring connections, but same thing. If I hold it in the heat does come on and the dryer seems to be functioning just fine aside from having to hold in the button. I have looked at some other threads on this that suggested that the motor relay needs to be replaced, but as near as I can tell my model doesn't have this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 1:17:18 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
You probably damaged the motor's centrifugal switch. Disconnect the motor wiring connector, check continuity between motor receptacle pins 5 and 6 while operating the centrifugal mechanism manually with a screwdriver by pushing on the disc that engages the mechanism. If you don't get continuity between those pins with mechanism activated, the switch is faulty. The switch is inside the black receptacle on the motor.

Whirlpool 279787 Dryer Drive Motor - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric

UserPostedImage
bakchr  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2015 11:51:52 AM(UTC)
bakchr

Groups: Registered

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I did find continuity between pins 5 and 6 and everything seemed to be working as it should. I noticed that one of the pins on 5 was flattened down. I had seen that before on the numerous times I had taken it apart but just assumed it was supposed to be that way. My guess is that it must have not been straight the first time I put it back together and when I pushed it in the connector flattened it. I straightened it out, reassembled everything and it works perfectly. Thanks for your help!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply