Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jmoconn  
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2015 7:00:22 PM(UTC)
jmoconn

Groups: Registered

Hey Eric - sorry for the delay. Vac update: I put the probes across the High Speed (red/white and blue) and hit the "final spin" button. The meter jumped to 120v, then a heard a click from the control panel, and the voltage went to 0. Did that a couple of times, then it stayed at constant 120. So, I'm not sure it the timers were doing something during the spin cycle or not.

Put the probes across start winding (red & black) and hit the spin. Only registered 35-40vac.

Notes on hand turning the pulley. I can turn clock-wise to move the agitator, but I cannot turn counter clock-wise. I can move it a little bit until the cam dog hits the brake hub dog and that's it. Not a lot of room down there to really put some muscle into it. I don't think I was supposed to do anything to the new transmission/brake before I put everything back together, so now I'm really perplexed as to why it wont move.

I'm going to pull the belt of tomorrow and see what that does to the motor. I'm guessing I have enough room to remove/reinstall the big pulley and belt. I might have to take it apart again. Thoughts

Thanks, Mike
fairbank56  
#12 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2015 6:49:13 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Well, not sure on the voltage readings your getting but the fact that you cannot rotate by hand in spin direction is a problem. To take the belt off, you can just loosen the four motor mounting nuts and slide the motor back.

Eric
jmoconn  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2015 6:00:43 PM(UTC)
jmoconn

Hey Eric - Was away for a few days. I loosened the 4 motor bolts, pushed the motor back, and removed the belt. The motor spins fine on Spin Cycle. I went ahead and removed the tub assembly, took everything apart and rechecked stuff like the nylon washer between the transmission and tub bearing; the flange gasket where the 4 trans bolts to the support bracket. After putting everything back together, I am able to turn the tranmission down at the counterweight, but it is extremely stiff to rotate by hand. Since the old unit came apart in my hands during disassembly, I'm not sure how easy (or not) the old transmission rotated. Should this thing be so hard to turn? Is there any kind of lubricant/grease that could/should be applied to help the transmission rotate easier? There sure doesn't seem to be anyway to allow any more "slack" once it's all bolted together. Thanks.
fairbank56  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2015 6:22:02 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

No, you cannot rotate the transmission easily because the brake is always applied unless the transmission pulley is rotated in the spin direction. The part between the transmission and the support bracket is the brake pad, not a gasket. I don't know what to tell you at this point. You can try running the machine with the tub completely removed as in this video to at least eliminate any problem with the tub or tub bearing. Your motor is a little different and doesn't have the clutch like the one in the video but everything else is essentially the same.

Eric
jmoconn  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 4:49:32 PM(UTC)
jmoconn

Hey Eric - followed directions on the video. Tried to go into Spin Cycle, but it just seems like the motor doesn't have enough power to turn the transmission. I can help to try and turn the unit, and it actually starts to go, but again, just doesn't seem to have enough motor to make it spin like it does in the video. The meter still only shows about 35vac across the red and black wires when spin is activated. I'm at a loss as well. Not sure if I should order a control board, or a new motor. I really appreciate all of your expert advise. Thanks
fairbank56  
#16 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 6:32:22 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

The fact that you can't operate in spin by hand (rotating motor pulley with belt on) indicates a mechanical problem. Where did you get the transmission from? Sounds like the brake release mechanism at the bottom of the transmission is not working properly.

Eric
jmoconn  
#17 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 5:28:28 AM(UTC)
jmoconn

Hey Eric - The new unit was purchased from Caribbean Appliance Parts (through Amazon). Guess I learned from that one. I have just sent an email back to them, requesting assistance. Now I just need to figure out if I want another unit from them, or just get a refund and order the part from AppliancePartPros. I'm fairly sure you can purchase/install just the brake spring, but I don't know if I want to go that route just in case there is something else going on with the unit as a whole. Thanks
fairbank56  
#18 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 8:34:36 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

As far as I know, there are no individual parts available for this transmission. While that spring on the bottom does play a part in operating in spin mode, it is not the brake spring. There are actually 3 brake springs but you can't see them. If that spring on the bottom, which is called the LGS (limited grip spring) was broken or slipping, the washer would just agitate instead of spin.

I have the same type of washer so I just took a video to show you how easy the transmission should rotate when you rotate the motor pulley. At first I just rotate the pulley, then I grab the belt and pull it. It is relatively easy to do this but as soon as you stop movement the brake grabs. There must be constant force from the motor and belt to keep it going but it doesn't really take that much force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeBouir_SkQ

Eric
jmoconn  
#19 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 6:04:47 PM(UTC)
jmoconn

Hey Eric - thanks for the video. Mine sure doesn't turn like that! I must've gotten one with some brake issues. I'm in contact with the company's technical department to figure out the next step. I'm hoping they just tell me to send it back, but I'm figuring they'll probably have some questions and some things they want me to check. I'll probably just send them a video showing them how this unit just doesn't rotate the way it's supposed to. Thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply