Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Saint Louisan  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2015 7:28:32 PM(UTC)
Saint Louisan

Groups: Registered

Hello I've snooped around this forum in the past and it's been awfully helpful. But this issue doesn't seem as simple as I've previously faced and I'm in need of some direction/expertise, So I've decided to register and ask for help.

So the fridge in question is a hotpoint/GE side by side that stopped working Friday morning or that's when we noticed. It was totally dead except for the interior lights, but I could turn the temp controller to max/min and I could hear a click like a relay. So I assumed it was calling for the compressor to start but that wasn't happening.

So after a couple hours of checking for continuity and shorts (too no avail) I called a buddy who also knows 0% about appliances but a little about circuit boards, but he wasn't much help...go figure! He did ask about how the board looked?....it looked fine to me, but then he asked if both sides look good? He was right because when t I removed the board it was blatantly obvious the the compressor relay was blown.

So I replaced the board and problem solved or so I thought. The compressor ran all night and all the next day but never restored things in the freezer to a hard freeze (soft ice cream), the fridge side seems OK though.

I've searched and managed to find bits and pieces of troubleshooting info/videos, enough that I think the defrost thermostat and element is operational but I'm not 100% on that. And I definitely need enlightenment as to test the fans, both condenser and compressor. I'll add that the condenser (the coils in the rear of the freezer) has the lower 1/3 iced with fluffy snow like ice. I'm just praying it isn't a compressor

I would appreciate any pointers or possibly a troubleshooting flow chart.

Thanks for the read!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.