Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
travisp83  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 1:06:43 PM(UTC)
travisp83

Groups: Registered

Alright, I had an issue with my timer switch and thermal fuse.

Got the timer in today and looked it up via model # wed5840sw0 on ************************ and also appliancepartpros.

When I searched for a timer for my model, everything online was pulling up.

8566184/AP3859587 Said okay, looked it up that way and found one on ********.

Whirlpool 8566184 Timer - AppliancePartsPros.com

However, everything matches up but just 1 wire, black/yellow wire. There is no slot for it under the blue wire like the original timer.

So I'm like, crap. Start cross referencing it some more and every place was saying the same 8566184 part# but the timer I pulled out today is 3406725!!

http://www.********.com/itm/340...&hash=item1c4fcd2c4e

Is there a way that I can get this to work without the black/yellow wire connected? What does the black/yellow wire control??

Been waiting a week to catch up on these clothes! Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I'd just order a new one but broke until payday which is too far away with a family of 5 lol
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 5:24:00 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
That terminal on the timer is for a ground wire. Ground wires are usually green with yellow stripe so I don't know why you have a black wire with yellow stripe. 8566184 is the correct timer as per the parts manual. What was the issue with the original timer?

Eric
travisp83  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 5:29:29 PM(UTC)
travisp83

That's what I thought as well but when I pulled the old timer, where it says BY for Black/Yellow, where I unplugged it from the old timer, there was no terminal on the new one for that wire.

If you look at both of the timers, you can look at the terminal under the blue wire here. This is the new timer with no BY markings or terminal for the black/yellow wire.

UserPostedImage

The copper pad right below the blue wire. You can see where a terminal use to be but the original has a terminal there for the BY wire.

I screwed up my timer switch trying to troubleshoot my issue. A wire touched the motor and fried it, sparked out the back so I unplugged it. Ordered this one and still nothing. Only other damage I know is the thermal fuse but I had it jumped during the time I was testing this stuff when it sparked on me.

I have yet to swap the jumper wire on the thermal fuse, would replacing that help if you're saying the BY doesn't need to be plugged in? That's the only thing I can think of. That fuse is keeping me from powering it on but it was jumped so I'm not sure. Other than that, I'm guessing the timer switch is the main fault now.
travisp83  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 6:49:25 PM(UTC)
travisp83

It looks like the black/yellow wire is going from the timer to the heat/wrinkle switch. I am not getting any power to the timer, it's not ticking. I'm wondering if it shorted something else.

Any other fuses that could have blown to keep the timer from getting power? I assume it's not by the timer not ticking. My meter is at my shop so I haven't been able to test it.

If the start switch is bad, wouldn't the timer still tick for the timer part at least?
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 9:15:34 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Ok, I thought you were talking about the timer terminal that is on the other side of the timer under the BU quick disconnect terminal, not where the BU copper pad is. So, no, it's not ground. The BY is for the guard switch and it appears that the parts manual is wrong as to the timer part number for your dryer. You would need 3406725. The timer that you have though should work. Just leave the BY wire disconnected (you won't have the guard function). Timer should advance, regardless of thermal fuse, if set to timed dry with door closed. If not, check the door switch, your short may have damaged it. What is the part number of your wiring diagram (bottom right)?

Eric
travisp83  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 5:43:22 AM(UTC)
travisp83

Thanks Eric.

I had one of those hmm moments lying in bed last night. "Did you check the breaker?!?!" Got up and nope, it was flipped.

I left the black/yellow wire disconnected and it looks like it's leading to a switch for heat/wrinkle we don't even use.

Went and installed the fuse and everything is working so far. Running it through a cycle now before I head out to work.

Hopefully the wife can get some clothes caught up today!

Yeah, I was wondering why everywhere in manuals showed the 855 that I got but the actual timer was something different!

I was wondering if the guy I got it from changed stuff out as he buys appliances broken and flips. Got a good deal on the set years ago.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply