Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jcpstrat  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 12:00:16 PM(UTC)
Jcpstrat

Groups: Registered

Is the Brake bad or is it the Transmission?

Washer fills, spins & empties but agitator doesn't move during wash cycle. Washer also emits a burning rubber smell during wash cycle.

Agitator itself is OK. Cogs work and the Collar on agitator shaft is fine.

When troubleshooting with front panel removed I can see that the motor will run in both directions eliminating the timer but the Drive pulley on bottom of tub isn't moving in during the wash cycle. That's what's causing the burnt rubber smell with belt slipping on drive pulley. After removing Drive belt I can easily turn the drive pulley in the direction that spins the tub and empties water but the drive pulley is very hard to turn in the opposite direction which is the wash cycle when agitator should be oscillating. I can force the drive pulley to turn and see that agitator does oscillate but drive pulley is just too hard for the belt to turn the pulley.

Any thoughts on whether the Brake or Transmission is bad or could it be something else? Thks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 1:19:30 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

The brakes keep the tub from turning during agitation, so it is unlikely that is the problem.

Sounds more like a bad transmission, and given the age of the machine I would suggest replacing it with a basic top loader.
Jcpstrat  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 5:14:24 PM(UTC)
Jcpstrat

Thanks for response sidfink43. I called the store where we bought it and they let me talk to a service person. Gave him the same info. and he said the same thing you did so it sounds like the tranny has got to be it.
Jcpstrat  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2015 12:46:03 PM(UTC)
Jcpstrat

Today washing machine is working, wife did multiple loads including the bedspread that the washer stopped agitating on. At this point I’m not completely sure of what fix worked and time will tell whether it’s a lasting fix but here’s what I did. My personal opinion is that the oil in the transmission was bad.

• I originally replaced the drive belt but agitator still didn’t work.
  • I lubricated the Brake Assembly but agitator still didn’t work although it did seem easier to rotate the drive pulley CCW (viewing from bottom of drive pulley) by hand. I might have just loosened it up from putting more force on it?
  • Removed the transmission cover & drained oil out and then sprayed degreaser all around in there until it looked really clean and then I let it dry out. Could not see any damage to gears etc. and now I could easily turn drive pulley in both directions & agitator would turn. Oil did NOT look good.
  • I refilled transmission with new oil and also took sandpaper to the groove on the drive pulley as it looked like there was some rubber build-up on it and also did the motor pulley.
  • Put it back together and it seems to be running fine … agitator is agitating.

The one thing I didn’t do which I wish I did but I didn’t think of until after I got it all back together is I wish I would have replaced the agitator O-ring on the agitator shaft. I’ve got a sneaky suspicion that it may be bad and allowing a little water to get into the transmission … can’t think of what else would cause the oil to look that bad.

[FONT=&quot]Wish me luck! [/FONT]
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2015 3:23:36 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I can't even remember how many times a repair has been made by taking the thing apart, cleaning it and putting it back together.

Good luck!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply