Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hunter02  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 8, 2015 12:52:27 PM(UTC)
hunter02

Groups: Registered

The motor coupling to transmission seems to fail every other month. I have tried numerous styles and types of couplings. A coupling assembly without the metal sleeve will only last a few loads. Some of the more heavy duty built sleeved couplings last almost 3 months and other sleeved couplings seem to last one month. This has been a issue for the last 3 years. before that it seemed to only happen once a year. Is there something I should be looking for to cause this failure. The spin when turning off I notice immediately stops the drum as if it is being braked. I'm not sure if it supposed to work this way.
thanks for any help
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 8, 2015 1:47:26 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Sounds like the brakes are grabbing too quickly. Get some sil glyde lubricant from your local auto parts store and place a small dab onto the inside vertical surface of the brake drum. You can use a small tweaker type screwdriver to do this. Place it in an area where the brake pads are currently not in contact with. Make sure you don't get any grease down into the clutch hub. Next time washer goes into spin, the brake pads will pick up and spread the grease around the brake hub. Now the tub should take a little longer to stop and this lack of sudden braking should prevent the problem with the coupler.

Eric
hunter02  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 8, 2015 3:18:24 PM(UTC)
hunter02

Groups: Registered

can this be done by laying the washer on its back or will the transmission and motor assembly have to be removed?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 8, 2015 4:13:36 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I would recommend removing the cabinet for access rather than laying the machine on it's back. Doing that can cause the skate plate to get out of position and oil can leak out of the transmission vent hole. You don't have to remove anything else. Just reach up into the brake hub with the screwdriver.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply