Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
waylo  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2015 9:47:32 PM(UTC)
waylo

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone,

We have noticed that our Whirlpool duet washer has started to leak water+detergent once the load is done over the past several months. EDIT: According to the primary user, it has always leaked like this since installation last year! =(

We believe it is leaking through the dispenser nozzle on the upper part of the door frame once the load is done. Because the door is partially open after the load (per the recommendations), we think it flows down on the inner surface of the plastic door, which then runs down the front of the washer into the pedestal drawer and also the floor.

I have taken out the dispense cartridge and the drawer and looked inside and found no obvious clogs. There is a bit of water within the drawer when I pull it out, not sure if that is normal.

If I watch the dispenser nozzle within the door frame after a load finishes, sometimes I can catch it dripping, other times not.

Any assistance appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 4:32:26 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

This machine should still be under warranty so get Whirlpool out, yell at them and get them to fix it.

It sounds like maybe your valve assembly is at fault, not closing completely so I would focus on that.
waylo  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 4:48:31 PM(UTC)
waylo

Thanks for the suggestion.

The warranty part is tricky. This was a new build house where we negotiated the builder to buy the washer. We closed just a tad over 1 year ago (2+weeks). But we did not move in until about 11 months ago. May have to talk with the appliance supply company about how this should be handled.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 5:05:34 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well that does complicate things but keep after them and if you have to go to Whirlpool.

Given how new this unit is I suggest using a Whirlpool tech, and again, concentrate on the valve assembly. If you decide to fix it yourself you can change out the valve assembly by removing the top. If you get the part from this site and it does not fix the problem you can return it.
waylo  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 7:12:59 PM(UTC)
waylo

Aha, caught it leaking on tape!

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/o2why...ADE_XSUKtRPwOE3N9j8occ2a

It drips at quite a pace here. Definitely some detergent within the drip.

The odd thing is this happens ~50 minutes after the load is done. Watching the nozzle right after the load is completed doesn't reveal very much at all.

At least now the repairman won't think I'm crazy if we end up staring together at a perfectly dry nozzle.

Does this line up with a valve assembly issue?
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 4:03:52 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Yes, the implication is that the inlet valve assembly is slightly defective and does not close completely, allowing a small drip to come into the machine. If it is a very small drip it may take a while to get through the detergent line and reservoir and into the basket.
waylo  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2015 3:27:02 PM(UTC)
waylo

Thanks. Just as an update, the repairman who was intending to drop by today mentioned he had a customer with a similar problem. He replaced the meter?/motor? (he had difficulty relaying the exact part name, maybe it's the "water inlet flowmeter" or the "flowmeter," 2 different parts) in the dispenser unit and that problem seemed fixed.

I say supposed to drop by because he quoted ~$300 for parts+labor, which then got me onto my warranty issue.

Working with the appliance shop now to confirm warranty coverage.
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2015 5:41:32 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Okay, good luck on getting the warranty coverage. The estimated service call seems very, very high, shouldn't be that much.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply