Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
philw007  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:35:01 AM(UTC)
philw007

Groups: Registered

The leftmost 2 burners have stopped sparking and does not appear to have gas. Other 4 burners are fine. Prior to this happening, the leftmost burners used to spark intermittently even when lit.

When I turn the dial of the leftmost burners...no clicking/sparking occurs. Also seems to be no gas...tried using match to light...no flame. However, when I start any of the other burners, spark occurs even in the leftmost burners (seems that whenever starting any burner, all burners spark).

So seems like electrode and spark module are ok.
I suspect the switch (428049) is broken...but would that effect the gas?
Does the pot (611346) need replacing?

Also, I can't seem to "open" or "lift" the cooktop. How do I gain access to the broken parts?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Servicer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2015 7:19:57 AM(UTC)
Servicer

Groups: Senior Expert

Can you double check the model number? On the PCG units, the burner that's turned on is the only burner that should spark. Also, your post describes the age of the unit as "more than 10 years" old. The PCG units are not that old.

Thanks.
philw007  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:39:47 AM(UTC)
philw007

Thanks for the response!
I got the model number from thermador site looking at pictures of what looks the same... It was in the house when i bought it... House built 2001. Only badge is thermador professional. . No model number... Any suggestions on where to get model? . It looks like the one i mentioned... I think all 6 have xlo burners... The xlo always seem to go out so dont use the function... There is a griddle in between too.
Servicer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2015 9:11:56 AM(UTC)
Servicer

If the unit was in the home in 2001 and has star shaped burners, the model number is PCS486GDUS.

If the two left burners don't spark nor let gas out, the problem's most likely in the simmer module. However, whether it's the module or the potentiometers is a moot point, because they're all included in kit number 00497234. A loose connection on either one of the potentiometers will also create the same situation, so you can inspect at the molex plugs before ordering the parts if you like.

KC
philw007  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2015 9:29:31 AM(UTC)
philw007

Thanks!

That's a great help! I will order here. Do you have access to a parts/diagram to see where it goes? Do I need to drill out venturis like in the newer thermador gas rangetop model? Or does this model not have that? Any suggestions on how to get the drip tray off? Any other parts I will need to order?
Servicer  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2015 12:40:30 PM(UTC)
Servicer

If it's a PCS (ca. 2001 with star burners), there are no venturis and the pipe nuts are not likely frozen.

The simmer control is located under the left-side spill tray. (The black panel
that runs from front to back.) To access the components, see below:

*Before working on it, unplug the cooktop*

1) Remove Grates, Cap and Flame Spreader
2) Using a 1" crescent wrench, open it up wide enough to fit into the two slots on the brass flame spreader.
3) Using another wrench, unscrew the pipe nut off of the burner base.
4) Once the pipe nut has been removed, carefully raise the burner base off of the spill tray and unplug the igniter wire. **Be careful not to break the ceramic igniter, because it's no longer available.**
5)Repeat the process on the other burner.
6) Remove spill tray.

Once the spill tray is out of the way, you'll see the simmer control module. At this point, you can swap it out. Before unplugging the wires, make a wire diagram or take a picture of it so you don't miswire it.

Potentiometers:

1) Remove knobs
2) Remove the two small screws found at the bottom corners of the control panel. They're behind the panel, going up into the control at an angle.
3) I believe there's also a screw on the griddle knob trim ring that needs to be removed in order for the panel to drop down.
4) Remove panel, unplug light.
5) Remove molex connections from potentiometers
6) Swap potentiometers

Reassemble, reapply power and test.

Going by the symptoms, there are no other parts that should need replacing.

KC
philw007  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2015 1:08:25 PM(UTC)
philw007

TY for the awesome help! Part has been ordered!
philw007  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2015 7:55:52 PM(UTC)
philw007

Parts came in. I only need to replace the 2 pots. That did the trick. Did not have to use the simmer module. Once the 2 pots were replaced, worked fine.

In retrospect, I didn't need to open up the top to get to the simmer module at all. The pots were accessible behind the burner dial controls...just had to open up that front plate.

Live and learn...but thanks for the great assistance!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply