Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
karl1970  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2014 6:39:08 PM(UTC)
karl1970

Groups: Registered

Dryer was working fine. Is right at about 10 years old. Washer & dryer came with the house when I bought it in May 2013.

Powers up. Gas type dryer. All controls appear to work normally. I started the last load to dry and when it was done the clothes were still completely wet. I don't know the dryer shut off early (sorry).

I don't know electronics or appliances, but I've been doing a ton of research so please bear with me.

I first tested continuity on the Thermal Fuse. Tested ok (I'm using a Sperry MultiMeter DM-6400 which I just bought for this purpose so I'm just learning to use it - very overwhelming device:) - I used the "sound test" for this.

So after more research it seems like the problem is likely one of these: Flame Sensor, Igniter, gas valve/coils/solenoid (not sure if this is all 1 or multiple components), or the glow bar.

I unplugged the unit again. I then unplugged a 3 prong and a 2 prong connector both of which connect to the gas valve coils. Using some other info that I found online, it said to test OHM resistance on terminals 1-2 (acceptable resistance should be 1365 +/-25), terminals 1-3 (resistance should be 560 +/-25, and terminals 4-5 (resistance should be 1220 +/-50). On my multi-meter I changed from "sound/continuity" testing to the 2k OHMS setting (honestly not sure if this was right), but none of my 3 tests worked. All stayed at a reading of 1 and didn't change.

Anyway, I plugged the 2 gas valve coil connector wires back in.

I decided to start up the dryer again. Nothing in the dryer (i.e. no wet clothes, just empty). Front lower panel is still off. Laying on the floor I watched the area where the gas/flame starts. This time the glow bar lit up and then the gas started a flame.

Anyway, I'm sure something is broke or is in the process of breaking. And I'd like to fix it before it happens again.

Questions:
1. Any ideas if it's these Gas Coil Valves that I should replace?

2. Could it be something else? Is there an easy way to determine/test?

3. And lastly, the bottom of the dryer had a TON of lint. Like it had never been cleaned. I shop vac'd out most, but I still need to do a more detailed cleaning. There's even some "burnt" lint in the flame tube (if that's what it's called). Could the dirtiness be causing things to not work properly?

Many thanks and Merry Christmas!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.