Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve Gurd  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2014 10:15:38 AM(UTC)
Steve Gurd

Groups: Registered

Thanks for being there. The freezer is 18 degree the frige is 49 according to my thermoniter. Been that way for at least two weeks. Didn't notice until second 1/2 gallon of milk spoiled in two weeks. Second 1/2 gallon wasn't to wxpire for another ten days. Ice cream firm but not hard. Checked evap coil, no ice build up. Unit does not run all the time but not sure how much. This morning at 6 it was not running. Fan runs without strange sounds. No blockages. What ldo you think? Thaks, Steve
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2014 1:26:18 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Did the evaporator coils have a fairly even coating of frost?

If I interpret the post correctly the compressor is cycling more or less as normal.
Try setting the control thermostat to a colder setting.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Steve Gurd  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2014 5:18:36 PM(UTC)
Steve Gurd

Yes, I did that days ago. Made no dif at all. Temps stayed the same. Thanks thought. Steve
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2014 5:34:38 PM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Red"]Did the evaporator coils have a fairly even coating of frost?[/COLOR]

If the compressor is cycling more or less as it always has then it is a temperture control problem.

if the compressor runs all the time except when the unit goes through a defrost cycle then it is most likely a sealed system problem depending on how the evaporator coils looked.
Steve Gurd  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2014 4:09:47 AM(UTC)
Steve Gurd

The coil had no frost on it. It was cold but not frosty. Could the thermostat be broken in the closed position? That is, never turning the defrost heater off? If I were to dis connect the defrost heater, would the unit work properly and get colder then? Or if the timer was not working properly have anything to do with it? Thanks, Steve
denman  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2014 6:04:23 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]The coil had no frost on it. It was cold but not frosty.[/COLOR]
If the compressor had run for about an hour before you did the evaporator coil check and the coils had no frost on them then it is a sealed system problem.
This will be an expensive repair and often it makes more sense to put the dollars towards a new unit.

It is important that the check be done after the compressor has been on for at least an hour. If you do the check shortly after or during a defrost cycle then you could end up with the wrong diagnosis.

[COLOR="Blue"]Could the thermostat be broken in the closed position? That is, never turning the defrost heater off?[/COLOR]
Could be but the compressor is running so the unit is not in a defrost cycle.
[COLOR="Blue"]
If I were to dis connect the defrost heater, would the unit work properly and get colder then?[/COLOR]
No
[COLOR="Blue"]
Or if the timer was not working properly have anything to do with it?[/COLOR]
No.

Everything depends on the compressor if it and the fans are on all the time except when the unit goes through a defrost cycle when they are all off then there should be frost on the evaporator coils.

If I interpret your post correctly then your compressor and fans are running.
I am assuming they run all the time between defrost cycles.
So I think you have a sealed system problem.
Steve Gurd  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2014 12:55:55 PM(UTC)
Steve Gurd

Thanks for your response. This morning I bought a new thermometer. Put in freeze, 30 minutes later it said near 3 degree F. Put it in refrige, hour later near 40 degree F. Left it in refrige until reading your last message between 40 and 50 degree F. Freezer area was cold. Removed the back panel in freezer found the evap coils frosty compreeor running. Left thermo in freezer waited 30 minutes checked again,,, over 20 F,,, in the freezer, compressor not running. Now I have the thermo in refrige area, I'll check in and hour, about 6 PM and see what it says. Thanks again, Steve
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply