Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MilwMonstr  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2014 6:39:43 AM(UTC)
MilwMonstr

Groups: Registered

When I bought my house 5 years ago it came with a GE Profile top load washer / dryer set. They have been working well since, but now I think I am about to have a problem. After running a load (washer still works fine), the washer has a heavy odor of gear lube. I pulled the front panel off last night and there is oil slung all around the innards of the washer below the tub. So I have a few questions.

Do these little transmissions ever develop repairable leaks? Or should I just order a new transmission and swap it out? Are there any other parts I should order with it, such as seals, bearings or any other hardware? Are there any special tools required that would prevent this from being a DIY project?

Here’s the transmission: GE WH38X10002 Transmission and Brake Assembly - AppliancePartsPros.com

thanks for any help
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2014 11:46:19 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Transmission is not serviceable so go ahead and replace it. The tub nut can be difficult to remove. It is reverse threaded and we generally use a special spanner wrench and small sledge hammer to get it loose. Sometimes we have to cut the nut off. Fairly easy with a dremel tool as it's just made of aluminum. So go ahead and get a new nut while your at it. I would remove the motor before banging on that tub nut as all that banging can damage the switch in the motor, seen it happen more than once.

Pro TJ90TB123A Spanner Wrench - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
MilwMonstr  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:53:39 AM(UTC)
MilwMonstr

Groups: Registered

thanks for the reply. now i need to decide if i want to spend ~$150 and a few hours of a weekend to repair a ~10 year old washer that cost less than $400 when new. maybe i'll just wait it out and see how long the transmission holds up.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply