Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jk_LB2008  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 5:19:57 PM(UTC)
jk_LB2008

Groups: Registered

Dishwasher stopped responding to control buttons. It's a Whirlpool OEM sold by IKEA - Type No 575-6, Model IUD8000RS8. Already read online how to reboot by alternating pushing hi-temp wash/heated dry buttons (5x each). Causes a number of otherwise dead control lights to flash, noises indicate system going through mechanical checks but at the end it still plays possum. Last time I tried this every light went on and stayed on. Is the control processor or the buttons console fried?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jk_LB2008  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2014 11:08:33 AM(UTC)
jk_LB2008

P.s. - tried the hair dryer trick recommended to "caloren" (this forum 539428-whirlpool-dishwasher-control-panel-control-board) last November. No apparent change, same buttons continued to work/not work. Also, a year or so back a button cover fell off the sanitize rinse button (one of the three "options" controls cluster) and I glued it back on (maybe Superglue - hard & inflexible - better suggestions?). Now the cover is off again and this button responds with a light too. All other controls, including "cancel" and "start" only light during the reboot cycle.

Again, what I'd like to know is whether to buy a control board (<$50) and try repair or is it pretty clear it needs the whole console assembly (~ $150 and a toss up for replacement of dishwasher).
denman  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 2:56:41 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Whirlpool IUD8000RS8 Dishwasher - AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

The usual way to trouble shoot this type of problem is to check the control panel/keypad with a meter (see the tech sheet).

Then if it checks out OK replace the control board/timer.
Still a bit of a crap shoot but your odds are better.

I am assuming you have already removed power from the unit for a few minutes to see if it will reset.

Sometimes the following works.
Connector Cleaning / Checking
Unplug the unit
Open it up
Remove the ribbon cable from the keypad to the control board at the control board.
Clean the edge connector. Use electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol.
If it is the type where there is not a connector just the insulation is removed, it can be cleaned with a pencil eraser. Do not use an ink eraser as it is too abrasive.
Check the tracks in the ribbon cable for hairline cracks. A magnifying glass helps here.
Would not hurt to clean the connector on the board. Use electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush. Be gentle and do not reconnect till all the solvent evaporates.
Reconnect everything and give it a try.
File Attachment(s):
IUD8000.pdf (245kb) downloaded 16 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
jk_LB2008  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2014 10:48:41 AM(UTC)
jk_LB2008

Tried to test the console buttons and it doesn't seem right. NONE of the buttons give continuity. I don't understand why anything could fail like this rather than having some work and some not. I did the following:

- Disconnected the ribbon cable from the control board (also disconnected board and removed it - see later.) Removed latch assy to allow the console to be taken out of the door.

- With console on a table, the ribbon cable is sticking out to the right lying bottom side up. This is a 14 pin connector, as I look at it P1 is at the top, P14 at the bottom (matching vs two marked pins on the board). Continuity tests use the small bare spots in mid-connector for the meter probes.

Polarity is checked vs the table (e.g. #4 pos & #11 neg for High temp wash, # 3 pos & #13 neg for Cancel). I also confirmed that my meter probes always make good contact by pushing the connector upside-down part way onto the (disconnected) board and checking continuity between bare test spots and the curved parts of the matching pins going down to the board surface. Resistance always went right to zero.

Also checked at the extremes of my meter ranges (200 ohm/2 megohm max) and saw no difference.

Whatup?
jk_LB2008  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2014 10:51:40 AM(UTC)
jk_LB2008

Oops - wrote #4 pos #11 neg and #3 pos #13 neg when they should have been the other way around. Also tried a couple in the opposite polarity as that specified (Why by the way - are there diodes in the lines?)
denman  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2014 2:00:53 PM(UTC)
denman

Not sure what you mean by in the lines but they are part of the keyboard.
jk_LB2008  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2014 5:45:15 PM(UTC)
jk_LB2008

I guess I was asking if the reason they make a point about polarity is because the LEDs are part of each switch circuit - simplest way to do it, but I don't know how the whole system works so as far as I know they could each be connected to a separate buss.

More important - does it make any sense that I don't get ANY switch to work? There was no major event (flood, fire axe attack) to damage unit and the cable and its connectors look OK AND all the indicators still light when it does the reboot sequence, just not when pushed when the machine is off.
denman  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 7, 2014 12:49:45 AM(UTC)
denman

The key diodes using polarity are not the LED's.
They are steering/blocking diodes perhaps the following will help.
As an example they allow a keypad to have 9 keys but only use 3 or 4 output lines. If they were not there you would need a common line and then a line for each key for a total of 10.

UTM ROBOCON Team 2011: Matrix Keypad

Keypad Scan Uses Few I/O Lines, Decoding Keypad Buttons, Scan to Decode Matrix of Keypad Switches

I cannot explain why you get 0 on all keys.
Have you tried reversing the meter leads to read the switches?
I know that there are meters out there that the black/negative meter lead actually is positive for voltage when used in resistance mode.
jk_LB2008  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 7, 2014 9:05:46 AM(UTC)
jk_LB2008

Yup, tried switching meter contacts (see two messages back). Again, the > open circuit < (corrected) everywhere is why I bothered to explain how I confirmed contacts on the cable, i.e. haven't done this before but I do know how to use an ohmmeter.

Where I stand is that I have no idea which part to order - console or board. It seems like the console ought not to light up if it's fired, but every LED actually works, just not when they're supposed to. If the problem is with the board, why trust a console whose switches can't be tested.
denman  
#10 Posted : Saturday, November 8, 2014 1:56:28 AM(UTC)
denman

I am also stumped by this.
I have never seen a control panel where all the switches are bad but you have one.

Since your test shows that the control panel (keypad) is bad that is the part I would replace first.

Control panel or control board replacement is always a bit of a gamble on these units.

Note if you order it fromAppliancePartsPros they will let you return it if it does not fix the problem.
Please see their return policy.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply