Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Moparrob  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:46:05 PM(UTC)
Moparrob

Groups: Registered

I have a frigidaire side by side that quit cooling about a month ago. With the help of this site I ordered a replacement start relay and capacitor and it started working again great.

A month since the repair passed and a couple of days ago it started doing the same thing. Called customer service and they shipped me a warranty starter and capacitor and this time did not fix it.

Symptoms:
Freezer or fridge does not cool at all. Evaporator fan runs, compressor try's to start and will hum/buzz for approx 7-10 seconds then an audible click and stops. Time appears to varyfrom 2-5 minutes with the evaporator fan continuing to run then the compressor will try to start hum/buzz again for 7-10 seconds and then click off. This cycle continues to repeat.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2014 1:50:18 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Seems like you have a hard starting compressor, assuming you wired in the new start device properly.
Moparrob  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2014 6:29:02 AM(UTC)
Moparrob

Rich,
I guess it's always a possibility I wired it in wrong. However after replacing the starter equipment originally the fridge ran like great, no odd noises or anything. When I installed the warranty replacement I only needed to pull the two wire plug from the solid state starter. Replacing the plug was done on the original repair a month ago.
Moparrob  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:49:35 PM(UTC)
Moparrob

Quick update the fridge has been plugged in but turned off (both temp controls turned all the way counter clockwise). And randomly I decided to test it, compressor started and fridge appeared to run fine for hours, left the house for a bit and was doing the exact same cycle as above. I have tried this a couple of times with a few it started and ran normally and a couple of others immediately started humming and cycle above.

Anyone have any advice before I call an actual refer repair guy?
richappy  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 12:32:29 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Either the compressor will not start during high usage rates when the line voltage is lower, or the lower start current supplied when the start device is warmer, will cause the compressor to not start.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply