Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Levistahl  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2014 10:21:32 AM(UTC)
Levistahl

Groups: Registered

I bought a used Hotpoint washer a few weeks ago (not sure of the exact age...) but it was working fine. A couple days ago when the wife was doing laundry it ate a blanket (blanket got stuck and ripped up under the agitator). Now it won't spin or agitate. It fills up and drains perfectly fine, and it goes through all of the spots on the dial properly, it just won't spin or agitate. I took the front off and had a look at the inside. When the spin cycle is on the motor doesn't move at all, doesn't make noise, wheel doesn't spin, belt doesn't move, nothing. I unplugged it and turned the wheel on the motor manually which turned the belt and made the tub and agitator spin in sequence. Any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:55:58 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Check the lid switch. Jump the two wires out as a test. If no joy, then we need to check the motor windings and thermal overload.

Eric
Levistahl  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 1:31:30 PM(UTC)
Levistahl

Groups: Registered

I checked the lid switch and that is not it. What do I need to check in terms of the motor windings and thermal overload? Will this mean having to buy a new motor?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 2:16:13 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
First, check for power at the motor connector with washer in spin mode and lid closed. You should have 120vac between the blue wire and orange wire as well as between the blue wire and yellow wire.

Eric