Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
douglasazo  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 9:37:11 AM(UTC)
douglasazo

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Profile Harmony washer that has been running like a champ but started making an exteremly loud screeching noise when it tries to agitate or spin. This began during a load of laundry so I had to power on and off multiple times just to get it to drain and spin.

The noise is like metal scraping on metal and the basin appears to struggle to turn and/or engage. I turned the washer on its side and checked the nut underneath and it was tight. There was some play on that bottom wheel [Rotator Asm] (up and down) but the nut was not loose and it could not go any tighter. I could spin the rotator asm and recreate the scraping sound but if I pushed in, it felt like it would fully engage and I could turn the entire wash basin.

I set the washer back up and puller the plastic cap off in the middle of the Pulsator Asm. The pulsator asm was wobbly when I went to disassemble. I removed the screw and pulsator asm and underneath I saw the nut underneath a bunch of thick gray sludge. In the sludge it appeared like there were little bits of chrome or metal. I could not tell if this was a symptom, evidence of deterioration, or just coincidence. After scraping off some of the gray sludge, I tried to tighten the nut underneath. It did not appear to be loose. I couldn't get much leverage. I could pull the spindle upwards and it had the same amount of play as when I did it from the Rotator Asm before.

What else can I check? Any help would be appreciated. I have 5 kids and the laundry is piling up.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.