Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mjbosha  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2014 4:21:51 AM(UTC)
mjbosha

Groups: Registered

I have a Jenn-Air 15" free standing ice maker. Model# JIM158XXRS2. A few months ago I opened the ice maker and there was no ice. After some basic trouble shooting I determined that the pan was not being filled with water. I purchased and installed a new water valve as I determined the solenoid was burned out on the old one. Replaced with part# W10340983, as this was the part number on the old part. After replacing the water valve the unit worked fine for a few weeks, but one day I opened the door and had the same symptoms. No ice. Checked the new water valve and again the solenoid was burned. I figured that something was holding open the water valve solenoid and burning it out, so I replaced the water valve again and also replaced the water fill sensor (part# 2313643). Again the unit seemed to work fine for a few weeks and once again one day the same thing. No water in the tray. Again checked the water valve and it was burned out. I also checked the circulating pump and reservoir drain pump using the self-diagnostics mode and they appeared good. So as a last resort I replaced the water valve again and I put in new CPU board. This time I watched the operation more closely. For the first few days the unit seemed to work fine. Water pan filled, water valve shut off, ice made, etc. About a week into it it started to act strangely. Unit would fill the water tray but it would start to overfill. It eventually stopped filling as water valve would close, but after a few seconds it would open the water valve again and filled an already filled water pan. It never would enter the ice making cycle. I turned the machine off using the control panel button and restarted it, but this didn't help. Now the weird thing. I actually removed power from the unit for a few minutes and when i started it back up the unit seemed to work as it is supposed to. The problem is that after a week or so it started doing the same thing. I removed power again and re-enginerized it and it worked correctly. Well I had to travel for a few days and when I came back once again there was no water in the pan. Another bad water valve solenoid. That is where I am now. I checked the other parts and everything else is working fine.

So far I replaced the water valve 3 times. I replaced the CPU board, and also the water fill sensor. I check all connections and ran the self diagnostics. Does anyone have any suggestions on what is keeping the water value open and thus burning out the solenoid, but only after operating correctly for a few days.

This is keeping me awake at night. The entire unit is only about 18 months old. Of course just out of warranty.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.