Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stephenb489  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2014 6:23:22 AM(UTC)
stephenb489

Groups: Registered

My fridge and freezer are not cooling properly. There is cool air blowing but it is not frigid cold. This is an older model fridge that has coils rather than compressor fan. I have cleaned coils already. This problem started approximately 2-3 weeks ago but has slowly gotten worse. Via research I have done the basic troubleshooting techniques like check evaporater fan and coils which both seemed to be functioning properly. I noticed when I unplugged system to reset it, the compressor would not come on like it should. I'd get a "click, buzz, click" which led me to believe compressor problem. Last night I installed a 3&1 hard start kit and the compressor immediately came on when I plugged in. I believe it's been running non stop ever since. My hope is that it's just doing this in attempt to bring temperature back to normal and I gather that could take up to 24 hrs. My question is if it does not show signs of achieving proper temps, what could be the problem? I was thinking thermostat/cold control would be the culprit and need replacing but I had someone with HVAC experience say it's probably a freon problem since compressor came on. I thought if compressor continually ran it'd be because it's trying to achieve a certain temp but can't due to faulty thermostat reading. At the same time if my thinking is incorrect I don't want to waste $100 on a thermostat that won't fix my problem...please help and thanks in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2014 1:56:56 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Do not keep the 3 n 1 hard start in for a long time, it will eventually burn out the compressor.
Check the evaporator coils, should be covered in a light frost. If ok, measure the freezer temperature and post.
stephenb489  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2014 4:45:59 AM(UTC)
stephenb489

There was a light frost when I checked earlier this week on coils to top left where I assume freon is pumped through. Temperature in freezer averages around 40-45 degrees.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2014 4:58:40 AM(UTC)
richappy

Your fridg is low on refrigerant. If a minor leak, they sell a sealant called
"ac leak freeze" that seems to work, but you would need a tech to replace the lost refrigerant.
stephenb489  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2014 6:15:10 AM(UTC)
stephenb489

Ok. Thank you for your time and advice. How would I go about finding out which kind of freon I'd need?
richappy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2014 2:00:43 AM(UTC)
richappy

All modern fridg's use R143A
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply