Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kenith  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:54:42 PM(UTC)
Kenith

Groups: Registered

I bought this fridge/freezer as a garage unit. The fridge and freezer are both not very cold (i.e. freezer is about 36 degrees and the the fridge is not cold, perhaps 50-60 degrees). The evaporator is not frozen over, in fact it doesn't seem to be very cold across the coils.

I've been able to locate the service manual and a youtube video that explains what can go wrong. I've concluded that the most likely problem is either the defrost thermostat is bad or the defrost control is faulty.

Verifications- the evaporator fan, condenser fan, and condenser is working. The temp control kicks on and off the compressor when the temp knob is adjusted. Could the defrost thermostat or the defrost timer be bad? perhaps its the refrigerant?

The tech service manual is here: http://appliance911seabr...HTT_GE_Service_Guide.pdf

EDIT: I plugged the unit on and the incoming refrigerant line is very cold (to the point where its frosted for the first 6 inches or so). The rest is not very cold, then again I just plugged the unit for less than 20 minutes.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.