Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GerryW  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:05:23 AM(UTC)
GerryW

Groups: Registered

The washer will not high speed spin.
It agitates, drains and spins with the normal speed.

Originally it would not spin at all (agitated and drained) but I noticed that the plastic part of the lid sensor was broken so the lid hinge was unable to turn the sensor properly. I removed the sensor and blocked it with a small screw driver so it is ON all the time. I also removed the washer cabinet. After this change the washer spins with the normal speed (I see the clutch is spinning) but when it comes to the high speed cycle it does not spin at all.
In this stage the motor works, the water pump works (water drained), but the clutch is not spinning and the basked is locked (I cannot even rotate it with my hands). The noises generated in this stage are like the washer wants to spin but something is blocked not allowing to spin. At the same time the timer is progressing its cycle.
- I removed the water pump and motor. The coupling is in a perfect condition. All around looks like new.
The only suspicious observation is: small amount of oil droplets inside the cabinet on the side walls about 5 inches from the bottom.

I am not sure what test to complete next. I have read everything I could find about Whirlpool washers spinning problems in this forum and on the WEB in general but still not sure which component should I replace in this case.

I will appreciate your advice.
GerryW
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2009 10:26:35 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

If it is spinning in slower mode then it would seem the transmission has failed, which would explain the oil you are seing.

If it will not spin in any mode it may be a brake problem. See the sticky by Richappy on brakes.
GerryW  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2009 5:57:56 PM(UTC)
GerryW

Groups: Registered

Hello,

Thank you for the help with the troubleshooting.
I read the manual.
I found that, for the spinning problem, "if the clutch spins when the timer is set for spinning, the gearbox works OK" - a very important piece of information. The clutch was spinning in that setup in my washing machine. So, I moved my attention away from the gearbox.

Next, I found in this or another forum that "if the clutch gets hot when running in a spinning cycle, even for a short time, that means that the clutch is "sliding" and that is the reason that he washer does not spin". I checked the clutch in my washer after the spinning cycle and it was really hot.
I ordered the clutch.
I installed it today and the washer spins like a new one.
Thank you very much for all the help and assistance.

I still have one more problem, present just in one program "Normal Program", when the High Spin starts at the same time the washer also takes water. I have to turn OFF the timer and turn it ON again and the High Spin works as it supposed to. I thought I saw that problem reported by somebody but don't remember the solution.
I will appreciate an advice on this one.

Thank you again.
GerryW
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2009 6:17:35 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi Gerry

Glad the new clutch fixed things. Given you initial description I am wondering if there was not a problem in the transmission, which you may have corrected when you took it out to replace the clutch. Anyway, sounds like things are working well.

If it injects just a spray of water at the beginning this is probably part of the process. These machines will inject water at the beginning of the spin process to do a final rinsing of the clothes. Of course, if water is coming in and filling up the tub that is not correct.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply