Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pir123  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 9:43:02 PM(UTC)
pir123

Groups: Registered

Hi to all,

This Kenmore branded top-freezer fridge (79569972902) is (I think) made by LG.

A few weeks ago, the refrigerator got warm, but freezer was still cold -- I took off the cover that houses the vent between the fridge and freezer and discovered ice had built-up in the opening -- I emptied it completely and shut it down for a whole day, letting it defrost and dry out -- and then powered it back up. It seemed to work normally for a while, except that the freezer seemed MUCH colder than before -- now the refrigerator is getting a bit warm again (sometimes up as high as 50 deg F) while the freezer is still very cold, and it seems like the same problem may be happening again (ice blocking the vents). The coils on this fridge are not exposed in the back, there's a solid metal cover, so I'm not quite sure how to examine them without taking the entire back of the fridge off.

It does seem to make sense that it's the defrost system that's malfunctioning, though one observation is that there's a fan that runs in the freezer compartment, which (normally) stops when either door is open. This fan is (sometimes) stopping and starting every few seconds, when both doors are closed. It *seems* like I can get it to run continuously (like I think it's supposed to when the fridge compartment needs to be cooled) by fiddling with the door switch, but it's hard to tell if that's real or if the phenomenon is just random. Is it possible that the issue is being caused by a faulty door switch? Would it make sense to just replace that, or should I just do a complete diagnostic on the defrost system?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.