Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fairbank56  
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2014 5:30:51 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
You need to jump out the start switch/relay as I suggested and check the voltage there as well, should be around 120vac. Thermal fuse is not in the motor circuit. Normal for ignitor to cut off after it gets hot and flame sensor opens.

Eric
AAP2014  
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:41:51 PM(UTC)
AAP2014

Groups: Registered

I'll try that but I believe the motor has a problem. The front of the motor shaft inside the stator (copper windings) has two metal pieces surrounding it. (Magnetic brushes?) There is one spring holding them together. It looks like there should be two springs.The spring has a loop on each side that connects it to a little "tab" on the metal piece. One of the metal pieces is missing a tab.They should have one on each side. (no spring can be connected to it). Picture the metal pieces at 3 and 9 o'clock, and the spring at 12 o'clock. I believe there should be a spring at 6 o'clock also. I'm guessing that the tab broke and the spring came off.
fairbank56  
#13 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 4:56:00 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
That is the centrifugal mechanism that operates the motor switch. When the motor starts spinning, the weight of the spinning mechanism pulls it in and operates the two switch contacts inside the motor wiring receptacle. One contact opens the start winding circuit and the other completes the neutral circuit to the gas valves. When the motor stops, the springs force the mechanism back to original position. It is common for the tabs that the spring connects to, to fail. The stainless steel spring loops wear through the aluminum tabs. The only option is to replace the motor. I'm not sure that is your problem though. The motor does start and the ignitor glows so the motor switch appears to be working properly. The springs have no function once motor is running. They are only there to bring the switch back to starting position after motor stops. If you lost both springs, the mechanism would stay in the run position and the motor would not start. It may be that the start winding switch contacts are stuck closed which would cause excessive current after motor has started and trip the thermal overload. Either way, you need to replace the motor.

http://www.appliancepartspros.c...or-279827-ap3094245.html

Eric

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
AAP2014  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 2:36:02 PM(UTC)
AAP2014

Groups: Registered

Thanks for your help. I'm looking for a replacement switch first but haven't found one yet. It would be cheaper and easier to replace it than buying a new motor. It sounds like the switch wasn't designed to last.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply