Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
spam  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 9, 2014 3:27:06 PM(UTC)
spam

Groups: Registered

My fridge has on two occasions now been warm while the bottom freezer is cold.

After taking off the false back I found that all the coils were covered in ice. I then checked with my analog multimeter:

1. The defrost thermostat and found no continuity. I tried while it was in the ice filled freezer and then again in a glass of salted ice water. Nothing.

2. The defrost heater. There was continuity and it was registering between 30 and 100 ohms (not sure on the exact number except that it was registering).

After doing some reading I determined that it had to be my defrost thermostat so I went ahead and ordered a Whirlpool 12001937 off Amazon (cheapest price when shipping to Canada was added).

When the new one arrived I put it in a glass of salted ice water and it has no continuity... I've gone ahead and installed it but I fear that it arrived DOA or I've misunderstood how to test.

The defrost timer seems like a bit of a chore to get so I can't advance it without taking the fridge apart...

Please help! I've defrosted the coils which seems to work for a couple weeks but I'd like a permanent solution.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:51:47 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Amazon sometimes delivers defective parts, so send it back, or order a good one from this site.
spam  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2014 7:36:51 AM(UTC)
spam

What temperature is required for the thermostat to close? Just wondering if I didn't wait long enough or the water wasn't cold enough.

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Amazon sometimes delivers defective parts, so send it back, or order a good one from this site.
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2014 11:16:46 AM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Looks like it may be an L42-30.

So it opens at 42 degrees F
And closes at 30 degrees F

I do not like immersing thermostats in water.
if any water gets in to it then it will cause problems in the future.
It is better to hold the metal face onto an ice cube while holding it by the plastic part.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
richappy  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2014 12:57:45 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You can remove it, strip the wire ends, put it back in the freezer for 1/2 hr, then test.
spam  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2014 8:57:44 AM(UTC)
spam

Thanks for the great tips/details @richappy and @denman. I tried all of the above and the *old* thermostat appears to be quite dead (hopefully not from being immersed in water!). The new one is installed so only time will tell...

If the freezer ices up again I'll have to re-test the thermostat and then potentially take the fridge apart to get at the defrost timer.

Fun times but at least I can easily keep an eye on it without risking my food going bad :D
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply