Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
terrasharkus  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:53:41 PM(UTC)
terrasharkus

Groups: Registered

Had my icemaker die on 2005 KitchenAid KSRP25FNSS00. Ice formed in the ice maker mold, but the ice maker would not harvest the cubes from the mold.

Found this site (and others) a great starting point to figure out what was wrong. Wanted to point others to a key resource - a complete ice maker repair/service manual by whirlpool in acrobat .pdf format. It has photos, diagnostics, flow charts, wiring diagrams, etc. I can't upload it here... there is a 1.3Mb limit for .pdf files and this file is 8Mb. As background, I am a mechanical engineer by training, but have long ago stopped working as an engineer; though I do enjoy the random home fix-it project like this.

Without the above manual, using this site (and others), after reading about 20 posts, I initially purchased a replacement emitter/receiver module set (which I may have, but probably did not need). Included with the set was a one page trouble shooting diagram from what looked like a larger manual. Searching, I found the above referenced complete repair/service manual.

**your mileage may vary with the rest of the posting, since it describes my specific situation **

With manual in hand and about an hour reading, I knew my problem had to do with the ice maker's heater - that it wasn't briefly thawing the cubes for the ejector arm to harvest the completed cubes. Then the manual again helped me to figure out how to remove the ice maker module and disassemble it. Doing so revealed a short-circuit on the "module assembly (part number 626653)" where the heater (p.n. 2255835) connected. The copper connection point for one of the terminals was melted along with the supporting plastic boss. I considered ordering only a new "module assembly", but I was still not sure of the short circuit's source - what cause excessive current to run to the heater such that the copper connector melted? Motor dying? Gears stripped? So I ordered a complete icemaker assembly (part number 2198597) from appliancepartspros.

From my limited experience I'd say that there are four possible failure sources for these ice makers.
1. Water fill tube frozen/jammed where it enters the ice mold. This happened to me once a year ago. Examine black fill tube where it enters mold at the top right of ice maker, ice blockage is likely to be visually obvious. Use hair dryer to melt ice if present.
2. Solenoid valve to turn water on/off to fill tube (near left base of freezer door). No experience with replacing this myself, but if there is water/ice in your ice maker, then this seems unlikely to be the problem. The above referenced manual's circuit diagram shows that the ice maker assembly controls the water valve, so even if there is no water, the problem could still be the ice maker.
3. Emitter/receiver module set. My sense is not likely to be a problem. These are very simple solid state circuit boards - no moving parts. Above referenced manual provides trouble shooting to determine if this is at fault. I wish I had this manual from the beginning, would have saved me some $'s from buying this set that I probably didn't need.
4. Ice maker assembly. Several basic mechanical parts: gears, a motor, a thermocouple. All possible sources of failure. If problem is here, probably swap the whole thing out.

In case the above link does not work, the title of the manual is "Consumer Services Technical Education Group Presents R-92: Whirlpool & KitchenAid In-Door Ice System". I found it searching "Whirlpool icemaker harvest mode".
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.