Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dpointer68  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2014 7:03:27 PM(UTC)
dpointer68

Groups: Registered

After a recent power outage I discovered a puddle of water on the floor below the left bottom corner of my French Door Samsung refrigerator (freezer is located on the bottom and there are two side by side doors to the refrigerator). Shortly after that I discovered that there was a thick slab of ice on the inside bottom of the refrigerator directly under the Cool Select Pantry. I was able to empty the slab of ice as well as some large globs of ice cubes inside the ice maker, but the leak continues and appears to be coming out of a square device centered in the bottom of the back wall of the refrigerator directly behind the Cool Select Pantry. Do you think you can help me remedy this problem? My 5 year extended warranty expired two months ago! Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance, Gladys
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Ollie  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 2, 2014 6:50:24 AM(UTC)
Ollie

Groups: Registered

This problem is caused by ice blocking the defrost drain tube. I fixed mine by wrapping heavy copper wire (16 guage) around the defrost heater coil and extending the end of the wire into the drain tube about 3 inches. This directs heat into the tube and keeps the tube free of ice. I see no more water in the fridge.

The condenser area is accessed by removing the panel in the back of the refrigerator compartment (3 screws). You will find ice on the condenser coils and the drain tube will be clogged with ice. I used hair dryer to melt the ice and hot water down the tube to unclog it. Watch how hot the plactic panel gets. I overheated it and created a smell that lasted a day.

I downloaded the repair manual for the refrigerator that was helpful in removing the back panel.

This is a very common problem in Samsung refrigerators. Samsung should do a recall and do this simple repair.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply