Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mojojojo  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 5:25:25 PM(UTC)
mojojojo

Groups: Registered

I have a GE side by side TPX24BPBJBB that has been giving me intermittent cooling issues on both Fridge and Freezer sides. The temps go up to 50 degrees on the Fridge side and sometimes close to 32 on the Freezer side. Then the next day they are back to normal range.

When I checked the condenser fan, I could see mineral build up in the pan under it. Every time I checked the fan it was not running.

I cleaned out all the lint in the condenser coils underneath the unit.

Most debugging of other refrigerators seem to indicate a replacement of the motherboard. However, I do not see a part listed in the parts database for this model.

I am looking for your help debugging this. Thanks in advance for your expertise...
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2014 2:42:58 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for GE TPX24BPBJBB Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

You are a lucky camper as your unit does not use a control board. It uses an analogue control thermostat (item 424 in section 05).

You have to find out if the compressor is running when the temperature rises.
You can usually hear it but also should be able to feel it.

Also when it is on the condenser/compressor fan should be on.
If it is not on then you may just need a new fan.

Is the evaporator/freezer fan on when the temperature rises?

If all the above are off then the next time it happen move the temperature control knob up/down if thew compressor and the fins start up then odds are that the control thermostat is sticking open and should be replaced.

If tis does nothing then move the defrost timer (item 257 in section 05)cam.
It only turns in one direction and you need a flat screwdriver. there is usually a hole in the covers so that you can do this without taking things apart. If the unit fires up then I would replace the timer.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
mojojojo  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2014 8:11:46 AM(UTC)
mojojojo

The compressor is running and seems to be kicking in when the temp rises. The fan has not been running every time I checked. Last night, I just spun the fan manually and it kicked in. It is running smoothly so I an not sure why it needed a push. It is now running every time the compressor kicks in. Will keep an eye in this going forward.

The evaporator/freezer fan is on when the temperature rises. The air blowing out of the vents is not cold on the skin when it happens.

Hopefully my problem is because of the compressor/condenser fan. Will monitor and update in a couple of days.
mojojojo  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:49:33 PM(UTC)
mojojojo

Happy to report that the cooling issues are gone. I had to play with the temp settings but at a setting of 7 on both sides, I am getting the fridge and freezer to stay in the desired temp range. Thanks for the help!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply