Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eelaroo2  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:40:25 AM(UTC)
eelaroo2

Groups: Registered

I've searched for this issue and can't seem to find a good answer. I'm wondering if we can fix our problem, if I should call a service guy, or just buy a new washer.

Here's the breakdown of events with my Whirlpool Ultimate care ii washer, model number LSQ9110PW3.
1. I had an unbalanced load during the spin cycle. I ran to the washer and balanced the load but noticed a burning plastic type smell. The smell continued during the now running normally cycle.
2. Same faint smell during next few runs, but faded away.
3. Ran extra large load last night heard squeaking noise during spinning. washer ran to end.
4. Then reloaded washer for extra large. It filled and then did nothing, Lid clicked, no motor sound.
5. Took clothes out of water, water remains. Now fills, then does nothing, motor sounds when place knob to rinse, spin, wash...but then does nothing.
6. Washer still full of water. lid still clicks. No agitate, no drain, no spin....only fills.

Other info: Manually spinning the basket is difficult and moving it back and forth is as well. (of course it's full of heavy water any advice on how to get it out would be great too)

Any help would be appreciated. I can provide more details if needed.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 8:49:44 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Pull the drain hose from drainpipe, place end of it into bucket and lower bucket with hose, water will siphon out into bucket. Remove the cabinet and bypass the lid switch. Unclip pump and pull from motor (leave hoses connected). If washer will now spin, something is jamming the pump, remove hoses and check inside pump/hoses. If it still won't spin, pull motor and set on floor still hooked up. You should be able to rotate motor shaft easily by hand. If good, leave motor on floor and run in spin again with foot on motor (may jump if it starts). Report findings.

Cabinet removal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVF0h1MQdBE
Lid switch bypass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAnQ6Ovvnuc

Eric
eelaroo2  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 9:57:02 AM(UTC)
eelaroo2

I edited my original post. the Model number is LSQ9110PW3.

We used a hand pump for the water.

That sounds rather advanced. Would the pump being clogged cause it not to agitate? It sounds like it is trying to perform the function of the knob, but the bucket is not responding.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:17:55 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Originally Posted by: eelaroo2 Go to Quoted Post
Would the pump being clogged cause it not to agitate?

Yes, the pump is running any time the motor is running because it is driven by the motor shaft. In agitation cycle it is running in a direction such that the water is not pumped out. In drain and spin, the motor runs in the opposite direction such that the water is pumped out. If the pump is jammed, the motor won't run.

Eric
eelaroo2  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:11:20 AM(UTC)
eelaroo2

Last night I was able to get the washer to drain. It spun kind of slow and was running very poorly, but it did drain and spin. Once I opened the lid, it stopped and wouldn't drain again once I shut it again. The lid switch and the pump must be operating, now we're looking at the motor. Time to open the thing up.
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2014 4:14:58 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Could still be something in the pump causing intermittent operation. Also check the physical condition of the capacitor (used to start the motor). It is located on the inside of the back panel under the water inlet valve. Check for splits, bulges, discoloration, discharge of internal electrolyte, burnt odor. Check condition of motor wiring harness connector and receptacle terminals.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply