Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
1hkfan  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 6, 2014 9:15:38 AM(UTC)
1hkfan

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I have a Maytag washer model#MVWC300VW1 that will not not agitate during the wash cycle. It will still spin and drain. The problem began after the washer became off balanced during a spin cycle. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

1hkfan  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:07:18 PM(UTC)
1hkfan

Still trying to find some advice.
fairbank56  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2014 10:58:43 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
If it's just the upper agitator (auger) that doesn't move, then you most likely need new dogs for it.

Whirlpool 80040 Agitator Dogs - AppliancePartsPros.com

If the lower half of the agitator is not moving at all, then you may have a problem with the motor coupler or transmission. If the motor doesn't run at all during agitation you may have a problem with the pressure switch or timer. So, please elaborate on "not agitate". Is motor running? Lower agitator moving?

Eric
1hkfan  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2014 12:36:57 PM(UTC)
1hkfan

Thanks for the info! What's it's doing is basically agitating or attempting to agitate with much less energy or force necessary to wash the clothes. It's definitely moving just not with enough force. If I try to manipulate manually, it will move so it does not appear to be seized. The upper portion of the agitator spins freely if I spin it clock wise.
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 4:57:25 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Ok, that is normal for the upper agitator. It is only driven in the clockwise direction so if you can freely rotate it clockwise but not counterclockwise, then it's ok. I would check the motor coupler first. Usually, if it's bad, the washer would not spin or agitate but it can fail in such a way that it may only cause problems when rotated in one direction. Motor spins in one direction for agitation and the opposite for drain/spin. If motor coupler is ok, sounds like a bad transmission assuming the motor is running at normal speed. Best to run machine with cabinet off and lid switch bypassed so you can see what's going on.

Eric
Gigdog52  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:53:40 PM(UTC)
Gigdog52

I have the same symptom on the same model. I pulled the motor and transmission. Is the coupler you refer to that piece of rag joint material that goes between the motor output and the trans input? If so the coupler is fine. The trans works as it's supposed to when the input is rotated manually. Clockwise for spin and counter clockwise for agitate. My problem is that the motor will not spin counter clockwise. With the motor and trans out of the machine and the machine on its back with no hoses connected I hear a hum when the switch is in an agitation area but no movement. When I keep moving the switch to rinse and spin the motor kicks in. So does the timer send the signal to tell the motor which way to rotate?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply