Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
spunkie269  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:17:57 PM(UTC)
spunkie269

Groups: Registered

I have had this Maytag Performa PAV3200AWW machine for about 14 years now. In the last 5 years or so we have had problems with unbalanced loads. The other day the wife puts in a load to wash it filled alright and started to wash and it just stopped in mid cycle. She tried to get it to started again but with no success. She had to ring all the clothes by hand and empty out the tub by hand. That same day I get home and I try to put into the wash or agitate cycle and I got this buzzing noise, the same thing happens when I tried and put into the rinse cycle. It gives off the same buzzing noise. I don't know if that buzzing noise is coming from the motor or the front panel. To add to the problem I cannot seem to turn the basket inside the tub. I would appreciate any help anyone would be able to give me? I don't even know if it would be worth fixing this old machine. We looked around for a new one and the reviews for them were just horrible.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

mr_mjsjr  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:17:39 PM(UTC)
mr_mjsjr

tip the unit back and remove the belt. next, rotate each pulley. try the pump, it should move very easily(if not it is bad); then, the trans (one way moves the agitator the other causes the basket to spin) this should move freely, but a little more difficult than the pump(if not it is bad). now turn the motor, it should turn very easily(if not it is bad). if all seem fine, put the belt back on; then, turn it to spin. if you hear a humming noise and the motor does not turn, either the start winding in the motor is bad or you are getting incorrect voltage to it. you could could again remove the belt and turn spin on if it then spin or hums, but you give it a quick spin on the pulley(watch your fingers) and it takes of it is the motor.
spunkie269  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:29:51 PM(UTC)
spunkie269

Thanks for the quick reply mr-mjsjr. I tried turning all the two pulleys which turned quite easily. Then I tried to turn the motor with no success. The motor has seized up. I don't know if it would be worth replacing the motor on this machine. I am going to check out the price and then will take it from there. Like I mentioned previously that we have been looking at new machines but they all seem to be pieces of junk!! All the reviews seem very negative on just about all the new machines out. Would you have any info or know of a good brand that is worth the money?
Thanks again!
mr_mjsjr  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:44:50 PM(UTC)
mr_mjsjr

i would recommend repair or thrift store. the ones i used to recommend were discontinued 3 years ago. i have absolutely nothing good to say about the newer units on the market. almost all are new designs and have not had the time under there belt to prove themselves.
spunkie269  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 5, 2014 12:55:30 PM(UTC)
spunkie269

Just finally fixed the old machine. Replaced the motor and a had replace another worn out piece. Cost me about $230 to fix it. Again thanks a lot mr_mjsjr for the help. I can't really say that it is working like a new machine but I know that it does a good job washing my clothes.
arstb  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 5, 2014 3:51:09 PM(UTC)
arstb

@spunkie

I am glad to hear you got your machine repaired and are now able to continue to wash your clothes! what a great feeling when all your appliances are working their magic...........
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply