Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
redneckchevy9  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:56:00 PM(UTC)
redneckchevy9

Groups: Registered

My dryer has worked without flaw since Oct. 2009. I went to start a new load & everything powered up fine & all lights came on, but the dryer would not start. The light next to the "sensing estimated time" came on & drum would not turn. So after checking things out & stuff, I found my thermal fuse was blown. I replaced thermal fuse & after one drying cycle, the fuse blew again. Alright, now it was time to dig deeper. I put another thermal fuse in & it has yet to blow, but now the problem is that the heater is WAY TO HOT when drying clothes! It seems like the heating element never shuts off. I have tested and tested & I thought the troubleshooting guide under the top lid lead me to the right fix, an outlet thermistor. Well, I installed it tonight & the same symptom, way to much heat way to quickly. I mean you can barely touch the clothes or the exhaust vent. I thought i have followed all troubleshooting up to this point (checking ohms, continuity,etc...)

Any help in direction would be much appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:57:52 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Have you checked to see if the heater element is grounded?

Unplug the unit and both wires for the heating element.
Measure across the heating element, should be 8 to 12 ohms.
Then measure from each side of the element to it's case, both should be infinite ohms.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
redneckchevy9  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:35:45 AM(UTC)
redneckchevy9

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Have you checked to see if the heater element is grounded?

Unplug the unit and both wires for the heating element.
Measure across the heating element, should be 8 to 12 ohms.
Then measure from each side of the element to it's case, both should be infinite ohms.

Thanks for the info - I am really trying to avoid calling a repair man who charges me $100 just to drive to my house. I am hoping this will be the end solution.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:09:28 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
If heater coil checks out ok, you may have a stuck heat relay on the machine control board. Unplug dryer, access control board and unplug red and black wires from the relay (large square box in corner of board). Check continuity across terminals of relay. If you read continuity, relay is bad and board must be replaced.

Eric
redneckchevy9  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:45:45 AM(UTC)
redneckchevy9

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
If heater coil checks out ok, you may have a stuck heat relay on the machine control board. Unplug dryer, access control board and unplug red and black wires from the relay (large square box in corner of board). Check continuity across terminals of relay. If you read continuity, relay is bad and board must be replaced.

Eric

Thanks to you also for the knowledge and helpful direction.
redneckchevy9  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:57:28 PM(UTC)
redneckchevy9

Thanks guys for the direction to help me out! I passed on the info to my brother in law, who is an electrician, and he did both & found that the heating element checked out. he also tried the red/black wire suggestion @ the control board - everything was ok there also.

Now I am at a loss of what to try next. It has been nearly 2 weeks since this happened & my wife is getting kinda pissed off not having a dryer. I have had a couple people tell me try a THERMOSTAT. It makes sense & all, but I don't want to throw another part at the dryer if it is not needed.

Does anyone think a faulty moisture sensor would cause all this madness??
denman  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 2:41:20 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Maytag MEDE300VW1 Dryer - AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

As you can see your unit does not use a thermostat for temperature regulation.
It has a hi-limit thermostat but this is a safety device with a thermal cutoff as a backup safety device.

Run the diagnostics to see if everything passes.

Since the thermistors and the heater check out OK I would say the problem is the control board.

FYI if purchased from AppliancePartsPros, they will let you return it if it does not solve your problem. Please see theur return policy.
File Attachment(s):
MEDE300.pdf (707kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
redneckchevy9  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 4:33:40 AM(UTC)
redneckchevy9

This is the same tech. sheet I have been using since the problem began. I did put the dryer into Diagnostic Mode & it threw the F28 code at me. So I followed the steps to test the moisture sensor & I did hear a continuous beep tone when I ran a damp cloth across the 2 sensor bars. It tells me test the harness & that's where it gets a little confusing for me.

Could this something that is unrelated to my problem or does something about this make sense to any of you guys?
fairbank56  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 6:02:49 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Faulty moisture sensor would not cause this problem. It's not even used in timed dry cycle. I think you got the error code because you are testing without any wet clothes in the dryer. If you run a cycle without wet clothes, it won't detect moisture and will store the code for that. The control board uses the thermistor to detect temperature and operates the relay to cycle the heater on/off to maintain temperature. Either the board is bad or there is an air flow problem.

Eric
redneckchevy9  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 6:27:24 AM(UTC)
redneckchevy9

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
Faulty moisture sensor would not cause this problem. It's not even used in timed dry cycle. I think you got the error code because you are testing without any wet clothes in the dryer. If you run a cycle without wet clothes, it won't detect moisture and will store the code for that. The control board uses the thermistor to detect temperature and operates the relay to cycle the heater on/off to maintain temperature. Either the board is bad or there is an air flow problem.

Eric

Well, a new board is not what I wanted to hear, but if it fixes the problem, that's great. It will be cheaper than buying a new dryer that's for sure.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply