Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
darrenwelson  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 24, 2014 7:15:32 PM(UTC)
darrenwelson

Groups: Registered

My 4 year old over-the-oven microwave stopped microwaving today, but the convection part works. Everything else seems to work fine.

Door switches are good.
I get 120VAC at the inlet side of the high voltage transformer. I assume this means the board is good and its a down-stream fault.

CAP:
I have checked the capacitor and it looks good as does the resistor within the cap.

MAG:
I removed and inspected/checked the magnitron which looks like it is fine when I do a continuity check, but looks a little worn and has some signs of rust. Is this normal?

HIGH V XFORMER:
I get ~0.6ohm on the inlet side of the high voltage transformer when everything is disconnected.

DIODE:
I think I checked the diode properly.

Anyone have ideas as to what to do next?
Replace the diode?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

darrenwelson  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 12:16:27 PM(UTC)
darrenwelson

Groups: Registered

I was able to locate and fix my problem despite not getting any advice from this forum.

For those with a similar 'no more heating' problem, here is what I did to at least isolate the problem:

1) I turned on the microwave and try to heat. I measured for 120 VAC at the front side of the high voltage transformer. Once I got this, I knew my board, relays, door switches were all allowing the microwave to TRY to heat. If you do not, then the problem is likely upstream from the high voltage xformer.

2) I then checked each; CAP, HV XFormer, diode/rectifier, and magnetron

3) check the capacitor

4) Just replace the diode

5) check for continuity of each; magnetron, high voltage xformer and resistor (within the cap).

I ended up getting good continuity for all items I checked, but suspected my magnetron was bad because the others looked GOOD, and it looked sketchy. NO weird noises, burns, or other tells, but it was bad, was replaced, and not hte MW works again.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply