Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tubegeek  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 1:10:32 PM(UTC)
tubegeek

Groups: Registered

Whirlpool LFI580 (LFI5801WO is the full number, the shorter version is the "stock number" on the serial number plate.) Front loading gas dryer, 120V, the lint trap slides down into the top over toward the right side.

Dryer spins OK. Flame ignites OK at first but doesn't come back on.

Possible complication: Fabric Temp Selector knob has been broken off for years, I can usually set it with a screwdriver into the nub that was left. I only seem to be able to set the selection to three positions lately - there are four markings on the panel and I used to be able to reach them all, I think. I am trying it on the furthest-right and second-furthest settings for my experiments, these SHOULD be High and Permanent-Press. I am not using the furthest left which would be Air Fluff if I was actually all the way to the left, don't know. I figure I am either stuck in Air Fluff/Low/Perm Press or Low/Perm Press/High with the three settings I can reach.

I can see a glow come up inside the flame tube from time to time. I can see a flame come on for a while but - I'm pretty sure - only once at the very beginning of a test.

It seems as though, once the flame cuts off, it never cuts back on again.

Result: dryer spins forever in auto mode.

Timer advances OK in Timed Dry mode.

This one is an oldie - at least 15 years old (but it came with the house so who knows?) I've replaced pulleys, belts, and an igniter in previous years. Seems like it ought to last until the motor gives out if I can solve the problems as they come up, eh?

I've had great luck with Appliance Parts Pros in the past, thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I REALLY don't want to buy a new piece of junk that won't allow for simple repairs, if I can avoid it.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:41:07 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Try, 35 years old! Sorry, can't offer much help on this one, maybe someone else will chime in. Probably gas coils or igniter but I don't see parts available here.

Eric
tubegeek  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 6:34:46 PM(UTC)
tubegeek

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
Try, 35 years old! Sorry, can't offer much help on this one, maybe someone else will chime in. Probably gas coils or igniter but I don't see parts available here.

Eric

The coils are a VERY cheap part - should I shotgun it?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:30:24 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
That's your call. I'm a troubleshooter, with meter and wiring diagram in hand, I can determine the faulty part. Beware of non factory parts. Just read about a tech who determined faulty gas coils. Intalled new coils, no worky, bought another set, same, finally bought Whirlpool FSP coils, problem fixed.

Eric
tubegeek  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:30:34 PM(UTC)
tubegeek

I spent some time working on it today.

After cleaning out the lint (there was a fair amount) on the bottom of the machine around the gas burner, heat duct opening, and the motor area, I thought I had fixed it - the flame would light two or three times before failing to light thereafter. But it still would not light every time.

I figured I'd keep going, so I opened it up from the back and got rid of any and all lint I could find, but there really wasn't much there, and the exhaust system out of the house seems clear - I get a strong exhaust at the exit.

Each of the sensors or thermostats measures 0 ohms when the machine is fully cooled down. There are 5 on the back of the bulkhead. Because of the length of my gas hose I can't really run this dryer and get access to the back at the same time.

My thought is to attach alligator clips to each sensor terminal and run wires from them so I can test them while the dryer is running and see which one is opening up and causing the gas valve not to open.

Kind of a pain in the butt....

Any suggestions?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply