Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gkent  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 4:53:27 PM(UTC)
gkent

Groups: Registered

My GE Profile washing machine started squeaking and after isolating the noise to the tub seal, I ordered a seal. The old seal was compromised so it was rusted and swelling rubbing against the bottom of the tub causing the noise. Even though this seal was in pretty bad shape, I never saw any leaking. I replaced the seal and the noise went away and all was well except for a grumbling bearing in the shaft/mode shifter. Within a week, the tub seal was leaking again. I decided there must have been some damage to the shaft at the seal, so a ordered another seal and the shaft/mode shifter. I replaced these without any difficulty and the washer was quiet and ran perfect. Now one week later the new seal is leaking again. The seal fits over the shaft fine and into place without obvious issues. What is going on here? Is is some type of compression that is supposed to be against the seal to help?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 5:51:58 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

This is a mystery, I don't think we know what is going on here. The specs call for torquing the air bell hex bolt to 90 in. lbs and the hub nut to 75 ft lbs. If you did that all should be well.
gkent  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 6:10:35 AM(UTC)
gkent

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
This is a mystery, I don't think we know what is going on here. The specs call for torquing the air bell hex bolt to 90 in. lbs and the hub nut to 75 ft lbs. If you did that all should be well.

Not sure what the air bell bolt and hub nut are. Do you mean tub nut? The first time I only remove the basket to get to the seal. It leaked within a week. I assumed rust or debris may have scored the shaft and since the bearings were getting loud, I then went ahead and replace the shaft and mode shifter along with a new seal. The mode shifter had a torque spec to mount to the platform but that is all I remember. Looking at the leak from below, it is dripping right from the seal area at about a drip every 1-2 seconds with the tub full.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 7:22:15 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Yes, the tub nut. It is possible you undertightened or overtightened it, but not sure even that would have caused your problem. Examine the seating area of the seal, and it is possible you received a defective seal.
gkent  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 8:20:32 AM(UTC)
gkent

Yes, the tub nut. It is possible you undertightened or overtightened it, but not sure even that would have caused your problem. Examine the seating area of the seal, and it is possible you received a defective seal.

I could see one bad seal but I am now through 2. I notice the ID slips around the shaft securely but not tight. The seal base slides and fits into the area in the tub base easily but not tight. Is there supposed to be anything pressing on the seal to help it compress?
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 10:29:11 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

No, it should just set. In fact too much pressure can wreck a seal.
gkent  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 10:39:49 AM(UTC)
gkent

No, it should just set. In fact too much pressure can wreck a seal.

Before I forget, thanks for your assistance, I appreciate it.
I do have an extra tub seal since I did not know the Shaft/Mode Shifter already came with one. I think I will change out the tub seal again and hope for the best. I will take a closer look at the tub to see if I can see any cracks or other defect. After both previous changes the seal did not leak for around a week that may rule out any cracks in the tub.
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 10:52:03 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

You are welcome, sorry not to be of more help.

The fact that it takes a week for the seal to leak is just more mystery.

Anyway, let us know what happens and if the new seal fixes things.

Good luck!
gkent  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:11:37 PM(UTC)
gkent

You are welcome, sorry not to be of more help.

The fact that it takes a week for the seal to leak is just more mystery.

Anyway, let us know what happens and if the new seal fixes things.

Good luck!

OK, UPDATE, I took the tub out again and when I removed the seal, the seal spring was on the shaft and not on the seal. I am not sure if it came off when I installed it or whether it came off when I removed it. I decided to re-install the same seal since it looked good. I did add a small layer of silicone seal around the outside perimeter of the seal as a extra precaution. After two weeks and maybe 10 loads, it has not leaked again. (fingers crossed). The bearings are a little noisier but not nearly as loud as before a replaced the shaft and mode shifter. Hopefully this will last. Amazing that just a short time with water will ruin the bearings.
sidfink43  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:42:20 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Great, glad you found the problem, that makes sense and explains the delay in the leaking.

Thanks for the update, it is very helpful.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply