Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
randyowens  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 11:14:55 AM(UTC)
randyowens

Groups: Registered

I just completed a replacement of the mode shifter on my GE model machine listed here. The good news is that the mode shifter is now working great. The bad news is that I appear to have a slight leak running down the shaft of the mode shifter during fill and agitate. I suspect that this is coming from the tub seal. I replaced the tub seal (came with the mode shifter) and also replaced the split ring bearing while I had things apart.

I guess I will open it back up to check things out, but the QUESTION that I have here is regarding how the tub seal actually works to seal the water path. There is a tub seal, and right above that is the hub washer followed by the split ring bearing. Then the inner tub, then comes the tub nut. It looks to me that square ledge on the mode shifter shaft prevents the hub washer from physically pressing down onto the tub seal. Is this correct? If so, how does the tub seal actually 'seal'? I expected the pressure from tightening the tub nut to compress the inner tub down onto the split ring bearing then the bearing presses down to the hub washer which compresses the tub seal. But that doesn't appear to be the case due to the previously mentioned ledge. :confused: So, what is the mechanism/part that presses down on the tub seal to provide the sealing pressure?

Any input on this sealing process would be appreciated. I am pretty certain that I did not damage the outer tub surface while removing the tub seal. Just trying to think about what to look for when I tear things apart again.

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:50:31 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
There isn't anything providing pressure on the tub seal. It is just a press fit into the recess for it in the outer tub. Make sure that it is pressed all the way into the recess. If it is leaking between tub and outer part of the seal, you can put some permatex gasket shellac compound on the outer portion of the seal before pressing it into the tub recess. If it's leaking between the mode shifter shaft and seal, then try another seal or put the old one back in. I have heard of problems with new seals not providing a tight enough seal to the shaft.

Eric
randyowens  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 1:30:24 PM(UTC)
randyowens

Groups: Registered

Thanks Fairbank56. At least that clears up my question around the sealing mechanism. I THINK it's leaking between the shaft and the seal. I guess I need to do some more investigation to confirm that. Very aggravating since you have to tear things down so far to get to it. Putting the old one back in isn't an option since I tore it a bit getting it out. I may just order a new one and replace it since I have to tear it all back down anyway. Looks like you can do the replacement without taking the tub/mode shifter all the way out. Just removing the inner tub and split ring. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 1:43:47 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Yes, you can replace it by just removing the tub and split ring.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply