Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ma059167  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2014 9:42:47 AM(UTC)
ma059167

Groups: Registered

This is a Maytag French Door fridge/freezer where the freezer unit is the lower drawer.

The bottom left hand corner (as you look at the front of the unit) of the drawer leaks/drips water. Opening the freezer door revealed the lower pan with over 0.25 inch of ice. I removed the door/drawer and ice yesterday. When lifting the door unit off water dripped from that same left hand corner (where the facia meets the plastic).

I vacuumed what I could reach of the coils and removed the lower rear panel but everything back there was clean - the drip/spill tray was empty. I left the freezer unit empty during the day and re-filled with food last night. This morning there was ice build-up again and the lower left hand side of the door/draw was damp. There is a small ice thread running from the lower pan to the door edge. I'm thinking there is condensation build up in the door which then turns in to water.

The unit is approx. 2.5 years old, running default temperature settings.

Is something broken - like auto-defrost has failed, is there a seal leak somewhere.
Thanks
Mark
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ma059167  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 3:59:04 PM(UTC)
ma059167

OK, so I found the cause but maybe not the solution.

The drain hole at the rear of the freezer compartment was completely frozen solid. I've had a hair dryer on it for 30 minutes or so and it's still not clear but getting there.

The most difficult piece of the disassembly was removing the upper freezer drawer - each side has 2 TABs that need pressing (used a screwdriver) and then gently raised the outer piece of the assembly. Once each side has been released the wire drawer comes out.

The side rails that hold both the upper and lower draws need removing to enable removal of the rear panel. There's 4 screws (each side) on the lower drawer glides and 1 (each side at the very front) for the upper glide. The upper glide is held in place with plastic tabs at the rear of the freezer compartment - see image RemoveUpperFreezeDrawer.jpg

Remove the 4 screws holding the rear panel in place. The plastic housing covering the thermistor has 1 plastic tab that requires a screwdriver (there's a small screwdriver image on the plastic) and the rear plastic vent has 3 plastic tabs with screwdriver images. Once those have been pressed the rear panel releases. Now start to remove the ice. I resorted to the hair dryer, but also tried hot water - see image DrainHole.jpg

Hope this helps others with a similar problem.
Mark
ma059167 attached the following image(s):
DrainHole.jpg
RemoveUpperFreezerDrawer.jpg
warthogwon  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:34:48 PM(UTC)
warthogwon

That was a perfect fix for my water leaking problem. Thanks!

I used boiling water, but I also had some spare 1/4" tubing, so first I would melt with the boiling water, and then use the tube to syphon out the water as it cooled and pour in some more. This way, I was sure that the boiling water I was pouring in would reach the deepest part of the drain and not be blocked by cooler water.

Great fix for my Maytag MFI2569YEM0 French Door with water leaking from the freezer section.
asotovx  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2014 8:08:42 PM(UTC)
asotovx

thank you works for me too, been trying to fixing without results pictures were of great help.
asotovx:) :)
Rocker1  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 9:19:36 AM(UTC)
Rocker1

Thank you ma059167! Explaination & pics were a great help. Grateful for your post. Hopefully it will remain unclogged and we will not have to got through this PITA process again.

Interesting to note though, many of the baffles/coils were BENT!! We have never opened that panel before. No idea.

Question still remains...What is the cause here? Anyone?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply