Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
daetinuviel  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2014 3:46:01 PM(UTC)
daetinuviel

Groups: Registered

I purchased my Inglis washer late in 2007, and aside from the knob having recently stopped turning the timer, the machine has behaved without incident. (By removing the knob, I have been able to turn the timer dial manually.)

A week ago, a pipe burst in the utility, and the washer filled partially with water. I immediately tried setting the washer to spin, so it would drain the water; however, the tub did not spin. It made a muted humming type sound as though it was trying to do something but couldn't.

I replaced the timer to no avail, and the problem persists. With both old and new timers, the washer fills with water, but it will not agitate, spin, or drain.

An Appliance Parts Pros rep suggested the problem might be due to a bad lid switch, stuck clutch, or broken transmission. I need to try and narrow down the issue to one part since I already spent over $100 on a timer I do not seem to need. Any and all help will be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2014 4:32:18 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Is washer in a very cold location? Possibly water in pump and lower drain hoses has frozen? Is humming sound coming from motor or timer? Motor is at bottom of unit. If humming is coming from motor, lid switch is probably ok. Remove cabinet from washer, jump out the lid switch and pull the pump from motor and try spin again with pump moved out of the way.

Eric
daetinuviel  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2014 3:03:57 PM(UTC)
daetinuviel

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
Is washer in a very cold location? Possibly water in pump and lower drain hoses has frozen? Is humming sound coming from motor or timer? Motor is at bottom of unit. If humming is coming from motor, lid switch is probably ok. Remove cabinet from washer, jump out the lid switch and pull the pump from motor and try spin again with pump moved out of the way.

Eric

Yes, the utility room is not heated or well insulated, so the temperature can get very cold. In fact, I just went out to check from where the humming sound is coming; the cycle was still set to spin, so I pulled the lever out, and the washer immediately started spinning. I am so relieved! You seem to have been spot on: everything down there must have been frozen solid. Thank you for your input!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply