Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jaylek12  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2014 4:54:06 PM(UTC)
jaylek12

Groups: Registered

Just replaced the control BOARD in our whirlpool double oven... it had a complete failure.

So i replaced it successfully, started preheating to see that they were working... guess what?

Both upper and lower "off/cancel" buttons for each oven fail to work. not even a beep when pressed!

No way to turn the ovens off unless i go out to the breaker box...

PLEASE, ANYONE HAVE A CLUE? I dont think its the control panel.. worked fine before.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2014 2:52:05 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Whirlpool GBD307PRS01 Wall Oven - AppliancePartsPros.com

What do you mean by "it had a complete failure".

Could be that there is a bad connection with the control panel.
They do not show a pinout for the control panel so I cannot confirm this.
Most panels do share the ribbon cable tracks for more than one key.

I would try the following.
Connector Cleaning / Checking
Unplug the unit
Open it up
Remove the ribbon cable from the keypad to the control board at the control board.
Clean the edge connector. Use electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol.
If it is the type where there is not a connector just the insulation is removed, it can be cleaned with a pencil eraser. Do not use an ink eraser as it is too abrasive.
Check the tracks in the ribbon cable for hairline cracks. A magnifying glass helps here.
Would not hurt to clean the connector on the board. Use electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush. Be gentle and do not reconnect till all the solvent evaporates.
Reconnect everything and give it a try.

If that does nothing then odds are that you have a bad control board.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
jaylek12  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2014 10:23:27 AM(UTC)
jaylek12

Complete failure meaning...

one day their was an error code and it wasnt function correctly and a few days later it was just dead. no operational buttons, no lit display, not a single button beeped. only the oven lights worked when the doors were opened.

Like i said... i replaced the control BOARD last night. if the control board is bad their is going to be an injured parts store manager on monday!

Now here is the thing, now that you mentioned that ribbon connection from the board to the panel... it did come right apart as i started removing the board from the display panel. i noticed it has a release connector at the control board side and stayed securely in place but with minimal resistance slid out of the display panel connection... is that normal?

A small part of me thinks it wasnt meant to come apart at the display panel connection... i did inspect the ribbon and it did NOT seem to be comprimised and went back together so i just figured it was fine..???

Im guessing that ribbon connector is not a "part" i can buy but rather a componant on the display panel that I now HAVE to purchase, right?..lol
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 12:59:56 AM(UTC)
denman

You are correct the ribbon cable is not a separate part.

See item 2 in section 06 in the parts.
If you click on the picture or description a new page will open with more info about that part.
jaylek12  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 2:08:37 PM(UTC)
jaylek12

So yeah as expected i understand the ribbon is part of the control panel...

Now i just need to hear that it is only meant to come apart at the control board side where that release clasp is... and is NOT meant to come apart from the display panel as it actually did.

I think hearing that will convince me to invest in a new panel. *shrug*

And also out of curiosity... in your opinion, on a scale of 1 to 10... 10 being no doubt... what is the likelyhood that this IS the issue causing the off/cancel malfunction.
denman  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 3:29:36 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]Now i just need to hear that it is only meant to come apart at the control board side where that release clasp is... and is NOT meant to come apart from the display panel as it actually did.[/COLOR]
I am just guessing.
My gut says that since the ribbon cable is not sold as a separate item that it is not meant to come off the control panel but appliance manufacturers do strange things so I cannot say.
On other electronic devices it is common to use a ribbon cable that just pushes into a socket/receptacle with out any locking device.

Another problem that bothers me is that just two keys do not work.
There are a lot of keys on this panel with not many outputs (ribbon cable tracks) so I would of thought that each track would be common to a number of keys not just two.

Below is an example of a keyboard from a dishwasher as you can see they share each track between 3 keys. Your stove has a lot more keys. As far as I can tell from looking at the control panel both these keypads are passive re: no active integrated circuit on the board.
Pin 9 - Pin 5 Heavy wash
Pin 9 - Pin 6 Normal wash
Pin 9 - Pin 7 Light wash
Pin 9 - Pin 8 Rinse only
Pin 10 - Pin 5 Auto clean
Pin 11 - Pin 5 Heated dry
Pin 11 - Pin 6 Sanitize
Pin 11 - Pin 8 Hi temp wash

[COLOR="Blue"]I think hearing that will convince me to invest in a new panel. *shrug*[/COLOR]
Sorry I cannot convince you because I cannot convince myself.
I would be more confident about it being the control panel if more keys were dead.
perhaps do a little more investigating to see if other keys are dead.
[COLOR="Blue"]
And also out of curiosity... in your opinion, on a scale of 1 to 10... 10 being no doubt... what is the likelyhood that this IS the issue causing the off/cancel malfunction.[/COLOR]
Since I do not have the technical info on the keypad all i can give it is a 5.

Before ordering anything I would do the following.
Connector Cleaning / Checking
Unplug the unit
Open it up
Remove the ribbon cable from the keypad.
Check the ribbon cable end and the connector on the keypad with a magnifying glass for any defect.
Clean the edge connector. Use electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol.
If it is the type where there is not a connector just the insulation is removed, it can be cleaned with a pencil eraser. Do not use an ink eraser as it is too abrasive.
Check the tracks in the ribbon cable for hairline cracks. A magnifying glass helps here.
Would not hurt to clean the connector on the board. Use electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush. Be gentle and do not reconnect till all the solvent evaporates.
Reconnect everything and give it a try.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful on this problem.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply