Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mwatson2  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 28, 2013 1:01:20 PM(UTC)
mwatson2

Groups: Registered

A few months ago our dryer started shutting off randomly (No buzzer). We weren't sure how long is sat there each time, but it would often turn right back on - sometimes it would not. We noticed the mid-point (left to right) just in front of the control panel would be VERY hot. As a result we started drying everything on low. This solved the problem for a while.

It started happening frequently even on low, I witnessed it being very hot after ~5 minutes on low. I began my trouble shooting:
[LIST=1]
  • The fan is blowing at full blast, witnessed from outside.
  • All the thermometers inside show 100% continuity at room temperature.
  • The electric heating element looked healthy.
  • There was a build-up of lint near the fan so I cleaned that out.
  • I got the drum hooked back up and it spun perfectly.
    [/LIST]

For the next few days it ran (even on hot) flawlessly. We figured it was just lint buildup. I just received a text from my wife that it once again shut off which has me thinking either the motor is faulty, or the timer is faulty.

What are the symptoms of a faulty timer? I'd much prefer buying one of those then a $250 motor...
  • Sponsor
    See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

1musiclover  
    #2 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 7:19:44 PM(UTC)
    1musiclover

We are having the very same problem of our GE electric dryer pausing while drying. Sometimes we can push start and it starts drying again and sometimes it shuts completely down and we have to unplug for a while before it starts back up. This is so frustrating as we have limited time to babysit the dryer! :( Just curious if you figured it out. Thank you!
    mwatson2  
    #3 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:43:37 AM(UTC)
    mwatson2

Something I did fixed it! Honestly, I think the biggest cause was that buildup of lint. It wasn't clogging the entire vent, but it was "caked" on to the entire length of the tube which surely caused some un-needed constriction and heat buildup.

The "tube" I'm referring to is the large funnel-like piece that takes the air from inside (where your lint catcher sits) down the front of the machine and funnels it though the fan to the outside. It's attached to the inside of the front panel. The combination of fine lint and moisture creates a sort of pad/carpet where it dries. I actually had to use a flat head screwdriver to pop some off (gross, I know).

In checking the thermometers I unplugged all the connections and plugged them back in, that may have fixed a bad connection, but my money is on the buildup.

Despite having 1 or 2 more shutdowns shortly after cleaning it, it now seems to be operating at 100%. I assume it just had to clear itself out. Good luck!

Originally Posted by: 1musiclover Go to Quoted Post
    We are having the very same problem of our GE electric dryer pausing while drying. Sometimes we can push start and it starts drying again and sometimes it shuts completely down and we have to unplug for a while before it starts back up. This is so frustrating as we have limited time to babysit the dryer! :( Just curious if you figured it out. Thank you!
    1musiclover  
    #4 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:45:54 PM(UTC)
    1musiclover

I cleaned it out and it definitely dried the clothes faster. Mine was really plugged up as well! It did have 3 stops in the cycle but that's a lot better than it had been. I've only done one load since I cleaned it so hopefully mine gets back to 100% as well. I really appreciate your helpful suggestion. Thanks again!
    thorning  
    #5 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2014 9:07:07 AM(UTC)
    thorning

I am looking for help on my dryer problem. I have a GE dryer model DWXR483EBOWW which is an electric unit with a timer problem I bought this unit a few days ago from a person who told me there was someting wrong with the timer. It would not advance at all. I took the top cover off and removed the small motor from the timer assembly that turns the timer shaft and switches. The small gear on the bootom of the motor would turn freely. In my junk box I had an old timer from a Maytag with a motor that was OK at least I thought it was. I put it on the timer assembly and put everything back together. The timer now advances but goes the wrong way ? Even though it is an AC powered unit with no polarity I took the cover off again and reversed the wires for the motor but it does not help. Is this possible for a timer to run backwards from one dryer such as a Maytag to a GE ? Stumped and need help ASAP.
    Tom near Peoria , Illinois
    fairbank56  
    #6 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2014 12:00:49 PM(UTC)
    fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
    Yes, the timer knob on the GE goes clockwise as time passes while the Maytag goes counterclockwise.

Eric
    thorning  
    #7 Posted : Saturday, June 14, 2014 11:25:03 AM(UTC)
    thorning

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
    Yes, the timer knob on the GE goes clockwise as time passes while the Maytag goes counterclockwise.

Eric

The maytag Neptune gas dryer we have uses a timer that rotates clockwise as does the GE electric. In trying to fix the problem of a non working timer motor at a reduced cost I took it apart by prying the small tabs backwards and lifting the small cover plate off. This has to be done very carefully. Inside I found one of the small plastic gears stripped. I was able to take the other junk box timer motor apart and use the same gear from it to fix the GE version. Got it all back together and it worked fine. The motor itself is set up to rotate in the opposite direction but the small plastic gears are the same. Kind of weird that would be happening so as to run the timer backwards but it sure did. My junk box of parts sure comes in handy. Total cost to fix this dryer was about $1 and an hours labor. Learned something new !!!
    thorning  
    #8 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2014 4:23:32 AM(UTC)
    thorning

I am now working on another GE electric dryer with a different timer problem and need advice from anyone. This dryer timer has the knob worn where it slides on the timer shaft so it just spins. These knobs are cheaply made and tend to split along the shaft length . Has anyone out there ever taken an old Maytag timer which has a very good shaft and knob design and used it in place of this GE item which is going to be expensive to repair. I have a couple of old Maytag timers but not sure if they are compatible with the GE type . Help ????